Load texture on runtime

Hello all.

I have a doubt. Currently I have a GUI that runs on iphone3GS,4 4S and iPad. I dont´use mipmaps for gui textures, and using a 2048x2048 textures on the iphone3GS enter on performance problems.

So I decide to use three versions of the textures (with difference resolutions). MikaMobile shows how to do it in this post http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/78154-Supporting-Multiple-iOS-Resolutions-(iPad-iPhone4-3GS)?highlight=DynamicTextures , but I have a doubt with this:

When I build the game, Unity takes all assets that are referenced, so If I use Resources.Load in order to load one version of the texture, it´s possible than the texture is not included on the Resources, and the device can´t load it.

So I can use a public var on my script in order to unity takes this texture to pack it. But if I reference the texture with a public var, Does it consume RAM? in other words, is it loaded if it´s not pressent on any material?

Thanks in advance

Everything under Resources folder is always included even if its not referenced anywhere in scripts or editor so don’t make public variables for them.

Thanks, I didn´t know the existence of this special folder.