Loading times are ridiculous

Recently my games have started taking up to 10 seconds just to get to the Unity splash screen on Android. I’m not sure whatever info to provide here… Anyone else having this issue? It used to be blazing fast. I haven’t updated anything recently, running on 5.0.1f1.

I gotta say, we have begun experiencing such a slew of issues with Unity 5 it’s crazy. This is some of the mot unstable software I’ve ever used. Too bad it’s still crazy powerful and free or I’d be much more inclined to complain … I’m still loving it, just wish it a bit more stable/predictable.

Do you have any plugins? Normally there shouldn’t be much of a delay before the Splash screen shows up. Basically the only thing we do is load libraries and initialise the graphics. That is pretty much it. If it takes 10 seconds to do that, then you have a really slow device :wink:

I’m experiencing identical (and slow) initial load times on a Nexus 6 and Nexus 7 2nd gen. So, definitely not the devices. We aren’t using any plugins except for the official google play services plugin – but we’ve had that for a while now and the slowdowns are recent.

Do you see the same problem with a new Unity project? Could you try to disable Play Services just to make sure this is not what is causing the problem? Does the same thing happen if you run your original project but starting with an empty scene?

If you’re using Resources.Load in your first scene, that could explain it.

Resource.Load is basically broken on Android in Unity 5, it’s at least 10 times slower than before. While testing the slowness in Unity 5 Android (loading a bunch of prefabs from the Start method in a script in otherwise empty scene), I noticed that the Unity loading screen changed to the next scene only after the prefabs were loaded.

1 Like

Oh great more bad news, first the FPS drops now this :frowning:

No. No matter how big your first scene is it shouldn’t affect the time it takes to present the Unity splash screen.

Edit: Oh nevermind, I misread. I thought this was about how long the splash screen is visible, but it took a while just to show it.

Original:
Here’s my repro project, build and run for Android both with Unity 4 and Unity 5.

It loads a bunch of prefabs in a loop in the start method of a script that’s attached to the main camera in an otherwise empty scene. Once done it prints the time it took (view with logcat) and exits the app.

In the Unity 4 build it shows the splash screen for a second and says resource loading and instantiating took 0,24 seconds or so on a Lenovo tablet.

In the Unity 5 build it shows the splash screen for several seconds and says the resource loading took about 3,5 seconds on the same tablet.

Both builds exit immediately after the loading screen, just flashing the first scene for a moment before exiting.

2132326–140406–ResourcesLoadUnity4.unitypackage (27.6 KB)
2132326–140407–ResourcesLoadUnity5.unitypackage (19 KB)

1 Like

I’m starting to feel like Unity 5 should still be in beta. We started our new project in Unity 5 to take advantage of some pro features, and we’ve been ready to release the first alpha version of our game for a while now. I told our testers the build was coming a few weeks ago and have to keep updating them saying, “Sorry to leave you hanging, but we keep running into issues on the target platforms that aren’t present while actively developing” (because obviously none of these issues show up using Unity Remote). I have another post about images (sprites) rendering as black squares on some devices, and on other devices they’re black squares only sometimes. So with that issue and this issue, I would be crazy to release a product and expect my users to be satisfied.

Again, I’m running on a brand new (got it 3 weeks ago) Nexus 6 and a Nexus 7 I really only use for development and a Moto X first gen, and this problem exists on all of them. None of these devices are slow or underpowered. And ya, I can’t imagine anything in my game would affect pre-spash-screen load times.

@bitter You guys have a tool that will convert project from 4.6 → 5.0, but do you have one that reverts from 5.0 → 4.6 so I can release my product in a sane amount of time?

And I apologize for the frustration… I’m just frustrated. :stuck_out_tongue: Seeing the community go from “Yay Unity is amaaaazing” to “Oh look, yet another major issue with Unity 5.0” is really discouraging. I think the QA team dropped the ball on this one. Some things, like deleted prefabs crashing unity entirely, should have been caught in testing… yet somehow made it to production. Anyway… Complaining makes me look stupid so I’ll stop now, haha.

1 Like

Perfect post Jtsmith, im really frustrated also with the current lapse from Unity, its like Unity 5 released then everyone went on a holiday. Thing is I to can backup my statements as the issues are starting to flood in, I just dont understand why Unity 5.1 is being worked on when Unity 5 full of bugs, lets get Unity 5 stable first and some bugs out the way, again got to target the UI team and the sleeping QA teams. Only us serious developers will moan as we understand how it effects our releases and products.

Anyway to go back on topic, I hope iivo can post a bug report number here for bitter to check it directly from his side as might open up some more bug bashing and performance updates

Must have been a fluke. Once I made some changes (standard development changes) and rebuilt the load time went back to normal. Nothing I changed should have affected that so there must have just been something weird under the hood with that particular build.