Many multiplayer games on one server

Hi

I’m new in the Unity (for now i’m making research) and I have a question: Is it possible to have many dynamically created scenes running at an authoritive server side? Let me explain what I exactly mean. Let’s take an FPS from Unity tutorial. I do some magic (I follow tutorial :slight_smile: ) and puf - I’ve got running server where two players can fight on one map. Now there are two new players that also want to play on that map. New scene is created from template (empty map) on request, two new players join new game and two games are running at the same time. Can it be easily done? If yes, how many running scenes can be handled by one server? I’ve found on this forum that Unity server can handle about 100-200 players in MMO game (I guess one scene). Did anyone make some researches about how many players and players per scene can be handled?

You can only a single scene running at a time in a Unity game.

It can be faked, by duplicating and segmenting assets at a distance and spawning your pairs of players at the appropriate place.

You can take another approach and run multiple copies of your server on a single machine. That though is obviously not as efficient.

As far as how many players Unity can handle, that question cannot really be answered. A card game might be able to support thousands of players, where an FPS would handle considerably less. It’s a function of how much resources, memory, cpu and bandwidth that your particular game uses.

Iirc, Jashan mentioned in some thread that his action oriented game handles 70 or so users per Unity server before it started to die in a fire.

multiple headless client indeed is very efficient, because you get the free benefit that RPCs will only be sent to players in the same game without looping through all players to find “yours” for example (and RPC is what a lot of your stuff base upon normally)

For groups of two players? I beg to differ. I wouldn’t call the benefit free. RAM on dedicated or VPS servers is somewhat expensive.