Multiple Licenses?

I am part of a small team and one of us has purchased a system from the Asset store, is it legal for that to be used by other team members do we need to buy the asset for each computer used in developing the game?
Thanks
Mike

I would ask the developer of the asset.

If you consider the low prices of the products , I think the most fair would be :

a one seat developer’s license,

just like Unity it self ( pro etc ).

So if you would buy a WyrmTale product … this would be the case.

I found the EULA and it says

So if we have 2 team members with two machines working at the same time we will need to buy two copies of each asset we get from the store?

Thats what it says. But why don’t you ask the developer(s)? Maybe he says “yeah use it, i don’t care” or something similar :smile:

Seems to me it is something Unity should have a check box for asset providers, so you can see before you pay whether or not you are going to have to buy multiple copies for your team or whether the author will grant multiple licenses or set a max number of users etc. I have bought a couple of expensive assets for the team project and if the author says no now to multiple licenses then I am stuck with assets I cant use without finding a few hundred more dollars.

Unity and its assets are tricky to think about. In the normal programming world you get the ability to buy a compiled version of the asset or sometimes the source code. Generally when purchasing the source code you also are purchasing a company license because, well, you have the source and are most likely going to be modifying it. However, the extra freedom for a full-source license is generally offset buy a much higher cost.

well it says one user at a time, so many people can use it, as long as only one uses it at any given time

I have an asset in the store that is being used by many big teams and dev studios and not one has bought a multiple license, even had one studio say that it was going to be used by a dozen developers and what was the license situation and after sending the EULA back a single copy was purchased. So not sure what one can do about that, its fine for a indie groups trying to their first games with no funds but its a little galling when big studios only buy a single copy, but the Asset store doesnt really help in not really showing the EULA or having a structure in place for allowing indie licenses over full commercial licenses, especially, as stated above, they get the source code for the scripting assets. And with sellers not even being given a list of people who have purchased their asset so they cant do a check and having to rely on checking a game when it comes out for use of their system and checking the credits and then asking how many copies were purchased. I hope that Unity will slowly make the store a more mature system and even move it to a web based store as well.
Chris

@SpookyCat
Couldn’t you just add three version to the assetstore, one is a single user license, one’s for indies so i.e. up to 5 people and one is the big fat do whatever you want license? Just a quick guess.

I did have my own license in the pack which it said you could do in the submission guidelines but then I got an email from Unity saying that I wasn’t allowed to have any different license and had to use the standard Unity EULA, so Chickenlord that is a good idea but Unity dont allow it.

Ah okay, thats quite sad…

Putting a license in there would have no legal consequences outside the USA anyway. In europe, from where UT sells, you have to provide the selling contract prior taking money and the license is part of it, so you have to provide it somewhere else thats visible prior buying or you can forget it completely for any legal implication.

I know that different devs and artists have the license linked into their description, so I’m not sure that you can’t have an own, though it would naturally be favorable if it were just all the same or “same or open source XX” cause reading every single license prior buying makes the AS useless out of my view.
So what UT would need to do, if they don’t do it, work out a solid single dev license that makes it clear that the sale is per developer and not per concurrent user nor per team …

I know why I hoped that it does not store the packages on the system anywhere, I know why … cause then they could have limited the downloads to the installations with the same unity license your account was bound to and point.

Mmm I have seen some paketes in the asset store with a a edited license.
But that was only changed like " for non military only" or " not for us embargo county".

Well as I said I did have my own license as it said I could do in the submission guidelines and it showed up as a link so it could be read before purchase etc but I got a prompt email from unity which said

So a little confused now, guidelines says you can, you guys say others are using their own license but yet I was told I couldn’t. But still doesn’t fix the issue of big studios only buying a single license which is against the EULA anyway.
Chris

Within the package its not of any use, so yes a license.txt in the package is as as much worth as not having it present at all as anybody buying it can freely ignore it as post buy licenses are not legal under european law under which your assets are sold

Having a License.txt file in the package submitted to the store means it shows up as a link in the asset store so you can read the license prior to download.

Would be new to me, so far (there are or were at least osme) they appear as license.txt in the package listing, not as linked in in the description.

also there is another problem: without the user explicitely agreeing to it (and you can’t enforce an eula screen prior accepting the cart addition) you can’t proof that they agreed to it, so good luck trying to enforce it

Well Iam not using my own license anymore :slight_smile: and Iam happy with the standard Unity EULA which users do agree to when they join the Asset store, and that’s the one that states a license per developer unless an arrangement has been made :slight_smile:

Well i guess we can agree, that it would be nice to be able to define different license restrictions for packages. So plz Unity people, this is on more than one developers wish list :wink: