NOPE

Check out my latest creation, I seem to be getting better and better at this ;). Should I become a game developer? In this scene I am trying to achieve the same level of graphics fidelity as games like Witcher 3, created by big budget studios. You can download and run this scene if you have a mid grade graphics card and windows PC.
Does anyone have any suggestions for my next scene? I am thinking of recreating the yellow brick road TOUR in VR from the Wizard of Oz.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5gBU0VVYsRIalRSQ3h5bzVsMTQ

1 Like

I meant directx 11 grass in title !

This scene was just to see what I could run and still get away with a decent FPS. The grass is a must have for me, not even witcher 3 has grass this good ;). Did quite of bit of optimizing to get it to run well, I am using unity terrain along with the direct X grass so that I can use unity billboard grass as well. Unfortunately with this setup I have to plant each individual tree and have them on their own layer to prevent the water cams from duplicating the render.

Recommendation: stay away from mentioning games like Witcher 3.

Exploring, learning and playing is great. It’s a neat scene. But we are firmly in the amateur work category, and this is very much hobbiest level output.

Keep going dude, keep learning, keep making cooler stuff.

But really look around, look at what other people have done, and be realistic about the level of output. Have fun with it, don’t start talking about stuff like Witcher 3, just don’t even open that subject. Compare your work to other hobbiests and see if you can start to push to the absolute top tier of that category first.

Again, I hope I am not demotivating you - keep making better stuff and keep learning. Just don’t be one of those guys who’s like “now I can build skyrim!”

4 Likes

Why? I was looking at witcher 3 and comparing it, witcher 3 does not have realistic grass or volumetric clouds.

The only thing that is really nice in that game as far as the environment is the fact they have a lot of variation.

I wanted to see If it is possible to at least match them on fidelity in unity and in my view it can be even better than witcher 3 with unity 5 as far as environment.

I made this in 2 days so… Imagine if I spent a few weeks on a scene what I could accomplish.

Im going to buy map magic or world generator and learn to use it. This scene was made with basic terrain.

1 Like

Yah I need about 200$ in terrain assets to get to that level :slight_smile:

This is more of a modded Oblivion than a Witcher 3. Still, not bad for a push button environment. It would be a good place to start making a more realistic environment.

I could of spent more time on it before sharing but I want to move on to a bigger scene, using terrain tools and proceedural generation. My next scene will have more speedtree variation, the directX grass with more variation and a much larger terrain. I’m thinking 4000x4000 with a yellow brick road using EasyRoads.

Can you show me the best unity environment with DirectX 11 grass? Or infini Grass.

Or the best “proffessional” level environment in general?

Just saying, look around at what other hobbiests have done in similar time frames.

The “I dropped some assets into a scene, look what I did in 2 days” thing is deceptive for a lot of people. The learning curve starts getting very sharp and never lets up.

Try to be honest with yourself and try to look at things critically. If you can’t see the difference yourself between this scene and almost anything in Witcher 3, then I certainly won’t be able to convince you otherwise.

PS - a lot of people feel the same way - its absolutely amazing how easy it is to get a small isolated scene set up and look great. But this experience is so crazy far from real game work or a real professional quality environment it’s kinda crazy. Have fun, relax, make some cool environments. Just don’t start to think that you are gonna make a skyrim or something.

3 Likes

This scene is using FREE speed trees, Free nature assets.

Obviously Witcher 3 has better trees and models + terrain (My terrain was just made quickly).

Matching witcher 3 or even oblivion terrain inst a problem obviously if you are using world generator + map magic (which I don’t have currently).

The scene is only to demonstrate the grass running with a complex water system like suimono.

Before I start work on my next scene which will be to the scale of an “open world”, I needed to make sure that the assets will run on a mid grade card, GTX 550+.

My next scene I intend to spend at least a month on. And I will be making it with map magic most likely.

I will have lots of vegetation variation, optimized LOD ect.

Last time I looked at infini grass I passed, it was so insanely slow that I considered it not usable. I think you found the same thing with the “mid level card” requirement for a very simple scene. I’ve seen richer scenes that can run on mobile over a year ago.

Here’s a thread showing some examples that a guy made with various random generators + a few post effects:
https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/procedural-worlds.398863/

Those environments are just like a few clicks and a few assets. Many are really pretty.

And no I did’nt say I “learned” everything I need to know to make this in a day.

First I had to get a good understanding of using multiple cameras with depth buffer, lighting, LOD ect.

It isnt my “first scene”, I suppose, I have made many others learning, uncluding one where you can fly from an earth scaled object to space seamlessly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-udtAZupGgc

I got kind of bored when I realized how much time it may take to make it look “really” good. But I did mater floating origin and optimizing it eliminating ALL stutters or frame rate drops from translating the world and particles. I also wrote the controller for the space ship which is still a work in progress.

The scene uses multiple cameras as well as mirrored cameras inside the ship to allow you to seamless enter and exit flying the ship to walking around in its interior in any orientation.

1 Like

I don’t care if my scenes run on mobile devices or integrated video cards ;)…

My grass even in it current state blows the grass away in that link you just posted.

Critiques on the waterfall scene:

  • Avoid using the hyper-green color for grass. Looks fake.
  • Avoid using Depth-of-Field when you have such a small scene.
  • Water - Use PlayWay
  • Get some Global Illumination going

What advantages does playway have over suimono?

Have you used both? Suimono seams kind of heavy on the hardware, out of everything in this scene it is the water that uses most FPS, not the grass or trees.

And I do have the water Cams layered properly and not double rendering.

You misunderstand this scene. I can RIGHT now expand it nearly indefinitely. The grass is optimized. The scene is small sure but I could make it 10,000 times bigger and it won’t make a difference FPS wise with the optimizations I am working on.

I’m about to buy Gaia, any of you have experience with it. It seems like a good terrain editing extension for the money.

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/sale-gaia-aaa-terrain-generator-procedural-texturing-planting-and-scene-creation.327342/

I just got Gaia, I’ll be back in a few weeks to post my next Scene ;). One much larger.

Damn you guys, now I had to buy PlayWay just to put it next to Suimono and see what the difference is. :confused:

1 Like