Fantasy world (wip)

Hi, here’s first test for my fantasy world, It’s not a game, just one zone that I want to create. I use unity, maya and photoshop. In few days I will add elements like walls, towers, houses, signs…
I use unity indy version, and to simulate shadows, I bake all lighting in maya (shadows + occlusion).
To simulate tree’s shadows, I take a screenshot of the top vue in editor and I switch to overdraw mode to localize trees and place them manually in maya.
Then I bake lightmap.

video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svH6_fKULvw
Here’s some screenshots:

Actually I have 2 problems :

When I use Pixel mode for terrain lighting, lightmap near the camera disappear.
And I have some overlapping problem with grasses (2 or 3 sprites are at the same position, resulting flickering problem)

Ha, yes, “flying” tree will be fixed in next version :slight_smile:

Looks gorgeous! Great work! :slight_smile:

Great work indeed! Please keep working on this.

I kinda like the flying trees-it is a fantasy world. Gives us the sense that anything can happen. Anyway they are beautiful.

Yes, you have to decide between lightmapping and pixel lighting. In the Indie version, that sucks and your best option is to go to lightmap-only.

Your terrain is a bit too CGI-like in the mountain tops. Try to use a higher erosion in whatever heightmap generator you’re using and smooth it out a little.

Aside from that, it looks really cool.

First object test: 2 towers (yes like… you know :wink: )
Towers’s lightmap include tower’s shadows, occlusion and terrain shadows+occlusion.

Now, I have to add towers’shadows projected on the terrain.

Very nice! The terrain has a very high amount of details and the grass looks very cool. Some of it looks a bit too saturated (too vivid green for snowy mountains) other than that, it looks awesome.

The lack of shadows in Indie version is something that really :evil: you are probably wasting 25% of your time just having to work around a silly issue like shadows.

Those towers look really cool built into the mountains like that! :stuck_out_tongue: Good job!

Thx :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s a lot of work to generate all lightmaps outside unity but because unity indy is free, I don’t blame it :slight_smile:

Love it!
Great job keep up the good work.
Can’t wait to see when this is finished.

Good job! I get an erie sense of the “Never Ending Story” towers that zap the crap out of people who are not worthy. That onimous feeling of doom if you cross between them.

maybe you should actually make flying trees.have them on a chunk of land with grass on top and dirt and roots on bottom.

Hi, today I added rocks to blend terrain and towers. The goal is to hide terrain’s stretching effect when when the heights vary widely. It’s not completely finished but I go well.
2 pictures:

Very good level :slight_smile:
Looks like Dragon Age style levels in some sort.

Would need some blob projected shadow under nearest trees ! And why not add some rocks with some green moss on the plain (Oblivion style) :slight_smile: !

Its is for an adaventure action game ?

thx dexter!

Unfortunately I am not using this kind of shadow on the ground because lightmaps in pixel mode disappears.
I prefer to use the shadows of trees calculated directly in the lightmap.
Otherwise, this scene is not a game, it’s just to create a little zone.

this look simply great ^^, update please :stuck_out_tongue:

Towers Finished! Here a screenshot:

Wonderful!

could you possible make a webplayer demo of it, just for all of us who want to look around the map and admire it first hand :smile:

like everyone says, its really stunning!!

thx all!

I prefer to continue modeling before placing an online version. Actual version is too cheap for me.