Wellcome!
This will be a project in which i will make a city that looks like NFS UNDERGROUND2.
I am not willing to turn this project into a game, it will remain just a 3D model.
I made a map in photoshop and now i am going to model everything acording to the map.
I will model this city just for selling it. I don’t know any kind of coding language so i can’t
turn this into a game. The only thing i can do in Unity 3D is making a simple car controll
system. I will import my car and my city and i will test the city if there are any glitches.
I will also make sure the buildings’s size of doors/garages are normal and they are not
much bigger than the car. I will also test the road, and if i feel it kinda edgy i can fix it later.
If there is any kind of glitch i can fix it later. Since i am making this model for selling, i will
include additional stuff that will help the buyer make his game.
The city will include:
** - 20 low poly tuneable cars.**
** - 3D garage, that will be used for the menu where the player will pick his car.**
** - Airplane model for the skies.**
** - Menu interface images for the menu of the game(Buttons, ect). (PNG format)**
** Model status:**
** -Roads: 100% completed**
** -Terrain: 1% completed**
** -Buildings: 1% completed**
** -Cars: 0% completed** ** -Menu interface images: 0% completed** ** -Texturing: 1% completed**
__ ** Model status image: (Click the image for viewing in full size)__
__**__ Need For Speed Underground 2 was just a game that gave me inspiration for starting such project. There is no content that was extracted or stolen. Everything in this project(Except some of the textures) is entirely created by me.
Just a couple tips I’ve learned over the years:
Use Dropbox, One-drive or some other type of file management system to store your files. Copying to a flash drive daily will become a maintenance nightmare. Dropbox is free up to 4 GB I believe, you simply install and use the directory “Dropbox” from your machine and it syncs over the wire.
A picture of a bunch of lines does not qualify as a project and expecting a community that is well known for simple “window shopping” to keep you motivated is a very bad idea. If you do not have personal interest in a project then it will fail 9/10 times. Trust me, I know. I’ve been down this road many many times. Best thing you can do is start a project journal, outline it with ideas over a period of time, when you are confident that you have a road map in place and you have interest in the project, start executing it. If the idea is a project that popped into your head within a 10 minute brainstorm and you have not fully thought it through and is only an idea to you because you just got done playing another game, or watching television then DO NOT waste time on it. (>.< I fell into this pitfall many times when I was a teen)
I Write custom applications for my career which pertains to 40 - 60 hours a week, and I probably spend 3-5 hours a week on my side project… But if you have absolute and pure interest in that project there should be no reason you can’t work on it for a few hours a week and pick it up again next week. So the biggest question you need to ask yourself is if you really want to be working on what you’re working on! (Unless it’s experimental or for learning purposes. Then throw away projects are perfectly fine!)
Well, Best of luck! I hope this amounts to something and you follow your ideas through!
I asure you this is not something that popped into my head within 10 minutes. It was something that took me years of thinking, gathering motivation, and being inspired by the beauty of need for speed underground 2, so that i can finally go for it. My first city project ever, failed because i was using a very weak laptop that wasn’t able to handle the amount of polygons and the size of the city. And about the second time i started this project, i spend so many hours to finally create the streets, then i started modeling the buildings, the mountains. It was the biggest model i ever created, but i lost it because my windows died somehow. I think i had some kind of virus and it deleted lots of files, including the windows files. As my laptop was booting, i see BSOD and it automaticly goes for restart. Since 8 years i haven’t been using any kind of antivirus softwares, the reason is because it starts to scan files while i am ingame and that caused my game to lag and i end up dying in the game because of that lag.
Now this is the final time i am going for this city, and i am really willing to do it! But still, i ask for comments to keep me motivated because when i model this for long time it gets kinda booring. I know there’s alot of work to do, modeling the streets, buildings, street lights, mountains. And i will also need to model like 20 car models, they will be included in this city. So whoever purchases my city, he will get the car models also, so that he can make a game with them. The only demotivation that i have, is the knowledge that it’s gonna take many months.s That’s why i need comments, to keep me motivated trough my working days. And yeah, my post may seem like “Two pictures, two lines of text and you call that a project??!!”. I will edit my post in the future as this gets more serious, i will leave it be for now because i got nothing to show off for now. My current work is not enough for posting an update.
Ah, well keep at it. You’ll get there! As a tip of advice: Maybe you should split everything out. The terrain, roads, buildings, cars, pretty much everything should be a separate objects.
Then you can code a layout mapper such as a json file or something that maps objects and positions of everything. Then deserialize the layout file as the player (or camera) moves through the city and create the objects on the fly through out the city and clean up what is no longer in view (Or in a different part of the city). That’s how I would do it as a game perspective anyways. Generally you wouldn’t load an entire city into a scene of that magnitude. Just some ideas anyways.
Done in five days, spending 2-3 hours per day, roads are now ready!!
** I need to import the road into unity and test it if it’s okay.**
** It will probably need a litte bit remodeling.**
** When i done testing and remodeling, i will start to model the terrain**
** and the buildings.**
** It will be a very long time till i post an update so… please comment.**
** Let me know what you think about my project!**
Update#2
** **
** Hello, this is a short update. I’ve madaged to do a little modeling over the street**
** that is pink coloured on the map. I recently lost my real life job and i got low amount**
** of money, so i am not able to pay the rent for my home. This means that after 4 days**
** i will be sleeping on the street. Thankfully, i can leave my computer to a trusted friend.**
** Durring the incoming 2018 i will carry on my neck a USB flash drive that will contain**
** my city model and the setup file of the software that i am using for modeling it. So,**
** whenever i have access to a computer i can allways keep modeling.**
** Who knows how long it will take to finally finish that city. Here i leave a playable**
** build for you guys to inspect my current progress. PLEASE, leave a comment.**
** http://www.mediafire.com/file/c16tww3rd2bpr09/cityy.rar**
** Inside the build there is a driveable Nissan Skyline which was not modelled by me.**
** You can test drive trough my current work and tell me what you think.**