Publisher on Unity Asset Store — Complete Tutorial

Just pushed a fresh update to my Tutorial for Unity Asset Publishers.

Hard to believe I’ve been running it since 2018!

Hello, guys! I’m Andrey Sirota, founder of Makaka Games and a full-time Publisher on the Unity Asset Store since 2015.

I have studied all the materials that I could find about the Asset Store on the Web (really, guys, every blue link and my personal interviews with other Asset Store Publishers), but this is not enough to understand the overall picture.

That’s why I decided to write a Tutorial, which answers all the critical questions.

The knowledge in the tutorial is universal and independent of the Render Pipeline and Asset Category.

So, welcome to the Publisher Community.

Resources

Here you can find a Complete Tutorial for Publishers on Unity Asset Store but rather on how to Create and Sell Unity Assets as effectively as possible.


Note: The asset on the Unity Asset Store contains a PDF version of the Tutorial, which is also available for free as a Web Page. Consider buying this asset as a way to support the project.

Thank you.

2 Likes

I’ve been publishing Unity Assets since 2015.

Almost every review is the result of asking a client after providing support.

There are also quite a few reviews that come after providing vouchers.

But it always takes time… days, weeks, or even months.

A year ago, there was a post in the private Publisher section of Unity Discussions about a first asset release by Jan Mróz @ProceduralPixels, where my tutorial for asset publishers was mentioned.

Several days ago, I asked for a review and got it in 5 minutes: the fastest review in my life. Wow.

Jan posts Unity rendering and optimization insights weekly. These are not just short tips: they are complex, thoughtful, and genuinely useful for professionals.

I was surprised that in DMs Jan replies in exactly the same way — just like in his posts. So check out his content if you want to learn more about Unity internals.

Resources

Here you can find a Complete Tutorial for Publishers on Unity Asset Store but rather on how to Create and Sell Unity Assets as effectively as possible.

Every Year, I observe changes (and collect them in the tutorial) in the Unity Asset Store related to:

  • Search Experience,
  • UX,
  • stricter requirements for products you release for other game devs,
  • the growing number of assets,
  • external factors like AI pressure that affect revenu,
  • and so on.

Personal results may vary significantly.

To evaluate the situation in the Store, we have two types of stats that can be found in the private sections for publishers on Unity Discussions:

  1. Official Tastes & Trends Survey Results.
  2. A topic called Here’s about getting rich from assets, where publishers share their outcomes.

According to the survey among users, those who use AI stated that they ended up spending more on the Asset Store as a result of using AI.

At the same time this definitely correlates with what Matthew Bromberg (President and CEO of Unity) recently said about Unity’s Vector AI (an ad solution that connects games with the right players) and its customers:

The more effective we are (Unity), the more money they (GameDevs/Publishers) spend.

And It’s a great recognition of the value that Unity is delivering to the game industry.

With the help of AI, you can make games faster, but AI tools are NOT a Panacea in terms of GameDev — they are Helpers. As a result, people spend more money on the UAS to ship more games, because they need:

  1. Quality.
  2. Testing.
  3. Diversity.
  4. Predictability.

All of these powerful pillars can be accomplished only after processing the results of AI by experienced Developers, 3D Artists, Music/SFX Composers, and other amazing creators.

People also visit UAS for Inspiration.

The mentioned topic also shows that there is still life and success on the Asset Store.

On the other hand, I can observe examples in local communities where publishers face significantly reduced income.

Here is one example I can provide

The publisher of the popular Doozy UI Manager (a set of systems that makes it easy for anyone to design, manage, and animate modern user interfaces) left the Asset Store because the logic of showcasing products in the Asset Store changed.

Views were reduced for popular publishers and redistributed among a larger number of publishers. And this happened even before the AI era.

Of course, it would be better to have something besides the Asset Store for the Developer to be sustainable. But on the other side, it shows that you need to increase your marketing efforts for your assets outside the store, because Unity is interested in showcasing diverse and needed products today more than ever in the search results.

The more sales you have, the more people need this product, and the more the store will promote it in the native search.


Learn my Tutorial for Publishers on Unity Asset Store


My recent review of the Unity Asset Store showed that there is still life and success there, but on the other hand, I can observe examples in local communities where publishers face significantly reduced income.

This experience is not unique to the UAS: 2025 Steam data shows that 40% of games failed to make even $100, which is the amount developers pay Valve to list a game on the platform.

At the same time, we have examples of Games and Apps like the following that people want to promote of their own free will:

  1. “Paddle Paddle Paddle” — you and your friend (via multiplayer mechanics) must paddle your way through lava and water, swinging axes, weird wind, and cool slopes — Made With Unity.

  1. “SlapMac” — Slap your MacBook. It screams back. That’s it. That’s the app.

They are viral and fun. You don’t need cool graphics in games or long-term application development.

This is how success is achieved by those who do things that people need at a given time: simplicity and joy. That’s all. Especially for Indie Game Dev or Asset Publishing.


Learn my Tutorial for Publishers on Unity Asset Store


How to Price your Unity Asset?

I’ve done a lot of Experiments with Asset Pricing along the way:
some were successful, some were not.

The Asset Store Team provides publishers with Pricing Comparison Data, which shows the average list price over time and by category for the top 10%, top 100, and all content.

You will get full access to this data in the private Discussions section for Asset Publishers. After your asset is approved, you’ll receive an email with instructions.

But in this post, you will see my visual representation of this data, updated on February 10, 2026.

Some conclusions can be drawn from this. For example, the top 10% of publishers tend to set the average price levels within their categories.

As a rule, cheaper packages do not rank highly in Unity Asset Store search results.

At the same time, there is a package priced at $1,500 that has been sold 4,000 times (industry-specific, digital twin), as stated by the publisher. A favorite message from the Asset Store Team is here:

Personal results may vary.

:star: Developers, what is the maximum price at which you are willing to buy an asset? My highest payment so far is $333 for an Asset Bundle.

P.S. AI Image Generation is great, but I spent several hours refining this image, so human work matters :slightly_smiling_face: Likes and shares are welcome.


Learn my Tutorial for Publishers on Unity Asset Store


1 Like

Nice graph, really handy for a quick price range decision. Of course the final choice should depend on the niche and the assets price range within that niche, where niche might be “Visual Design Tool” or “Ambient Music”. Those can hugely affect price ranges too.

How is “Top” defined? Same as “Sort by Popularity”?

1 Like

As stated in the original post with that data:

Top 100 & Top 10% is per category, based on revenue.

What’s your highest spending on a single asset or bundle?

Also in the $300-400 range although this would be Synty assets so it was likely on sale and probably on Synty’s store but considering I bought a bunch of these all at once, it was surely > $500 altogether in a single purchase.

Unity Asset Store faces the Era of AI that is changing the Game Industry

In general, intellectual work is no longer exclusive in 2026.

As I see it, random sales to hobbyists will fade away.

Most of their needs can already be covered by AI — even with free tools and GPTs generating code, images, 3D models, 2D sprites, music, SFX, and more.

Sales on the Unity Asset Store (UAS) will likely focus on Premium Content only, with paid support options integrated (I believe) similar to Envato Market: once the support period ends, responses are no longer guaranteed.

The new UAS is arriving this year, introducing a redesigned backend and frontend for both Users and Publishers.

With these updates, adding new features will be easier. It’s time for a change.

What is Premium Stuff?

  • Editor Extensions (Tools, Generators, AI Helpers)
  • Detailed + Optimized 3D Models with Animations (sorry, Low-Poly)
  • Complete Projects
  • Premium Support
  • Updates by Subscription

:light_bulb: Name your own category below. How has AI affected your behavior as a User or Publisher on the Asset Store?

Despite the strict moderation process, it is still difficult to find the right and high-quality resource.


Since 2018, I have been updating my Tutorial for Asset Publishers that want to stand out and deliver HQ assets.


Since 2024, I’ve been quietly publishing Unity Assets on FAB, with some pauses in between.

FAB was launched in 2024 by Epic Games as a digital asset marketplace, merging the Unreal Engine Marketplace, Sketchfab Store, Quixel, and ArtStation Marketplace.

I didn’t post any FAB-related links in order to run a clear experiment on the behavior of Unity Devs purchasing on FAB.

Here are the results based on my experience and that of 3rd-party publishers:

Unity Developers use Asset Store. That’s all.

There are random purchases on FAB’s website as well as providing additional discoverability for your products that cannot be measured because any Game Developer can find your asset on FAB and then buy it on the Unity Asset Store (UAS).

But anyway, FAB periodically gives me opportunities to participate in what you see in the screenshot, but it hasn’t led to any results.

Do you buy Unity Assets on FAB? Why?

By the way, FAB Advantages are here:

  • 1-Day Moderation (UAS: 50-60 days).
  • 88% are yours (UAS: 70%).
  • FAB was made from scratch: fast backend, rapid implementing of new features.

Learn my Tutorial for Publishers on Unity Asset Store


1 Like

I expected as much.

I’m curious regarding Unity asset sales on itch.io - particularly scripting assets like Animancer Pro. Have you tried that option?

I feel it seems worthwhile to at least try itch because the setup is supposedly on the order of one gazillion simpler compared to FAB (I gave up, and won’t even bother to try again).

And then there’s Gumroad which also allows for white label ie direct sales on your own website with payment processing handled by Gumroad.

Animancer is also hosted on UAS, so there is no reason for me to use itch-io as a buyer in this case as well…

I know, but the situation may be different. Ie Fab = 1 extra sale per year vs Itch = 1 extra sale per month … something like that.

But I get that users far and wide prefer to buy on the UAS, it’s primarily for the convenience of asset integration via Package Manager: easy download + install and update notifications. I’d still look up an asset worth purchasing on the UAS even if I found it elsewhere. Only exception thus far: Synty assets.

Why is Synty an exception?

Broader topic:

Unity Developers randomly use FAB, preferring UAS.

These are stats for my free assets in 2025:

Recently, FAB added stats called Performance Overview. I post UAS links only in Social Media to conduct a clear experiment for FAB.


Learn my Tutorial for Publishers on Unity Asset Store


Publish the Unity Asset on FAB first to test moderation faster than with the Asset Store, and then you can submit more quality Asset for UAS.

Being a publisher on both stores, I noticed some advantages for users and publishers on FAB:

  • 1-Day Moderation (UAS: 50-60 days).
  • 88% are yours (UAS: 70%).
  • FAB was made from scratch: fast backend, rapid implementing of new features.
  • Downloading without using any game engine, right from a web browser.
  • 3 HQ assets are shared every 2 weeks for free. Publisher takes up to $5000 for such a release from Epic Games. 1 out of 3 contains a Unity package.

Learn my Tutorial for Publishers on Unity Asset Store


Developer Behavior When Searching for Assets

FAB can be useful for Unity Developers :slightly_smiling_face: Some takes from other Devs from my other social platforms:

  1. I always start on FAB, then go to the Unity Asset Store if I need to. Why? Because FAB allows me to use my assets in any which way I want.

    Maybe it’s because of their sick free assets every month. Or maybe it’s my spend on ArtStation. But when I buy a rig or pack on FAB, I feel more free to move or use my packages as I desire. Unity locks me into Unity Package Manager inside of Unity. So if I want to for instance grab an FBX I bought from the asset store, I have do a whole lengthy juggling act to tweak it.

    With FAB, I just hit download, unpack, and edit. But for Unity-specific scripts, I usually just go with Unity for now.

  2. I’ve used Fab to find some good stuff for Unity (mostly just character models though).

    I thought that I might find stuff on Fab that I wouldn’t find on the asset store. Turns out I was right. No, I did not buy it on the asset store later (mainly because it wasn’t even available there).

  3. And as a gamedev I buy at the Unity Asset Store, and if that author has a webpage I try to buy from their webpage for support. Also unity cuts a percentage of VAT something when you buy like if an asset is 5 bucks it becomes 6.5 something at checkout. So that’s a bit annoying.


Learn my Tutorial for Publishers on Unity Asset Store


79 copies sold in the first 25 hours — AR Bundle

Thank you, Unity, for this opportunity:

I’ve never seen such numbers in my Asset Stats in terms of sales count. 254 assets were selected for this $2+ event — and one of them is mine (or rather, 8 Assets included in the Bundle).

:tangerine: The Main Advice I always give to Publishers is this

If you’re invited to a sale — agree to participate. The Unity Asset Store (UAS) is a better platform than any social media. I’ve been posting tips for Publishers since 2018 and compiling them into a Complete Tutorial.

There are Many Examples of Publishers who don’t post on social media at all — or do so very rarely — yet still achieve great results simply by having HQ products that consistently participate in sales.

This year, we’ll see the new UAS (according to the team), which should be faster and allow new features to be implemented much more quickly.

I hope every Publisher will eventually be able to create such “happy days” manually — please consider this a feature request. Right now, the only chance to do this is during the release period, for 1–2 weeks.


Even if your Old Unity Asset still works in the latest Unity version, that’s not a reason to leave it outdated on the Unity Asset Store.

By uploading your asset with the currently recommended Unity version (6.3 LTS for now), you improve its search ranking on the Asset Store and increase your chances of getting invited to sales.


Learn my Tutorial for Publishers on Unity Asset Store


First 48 hours in the Unity Asset Store

124 sales and 1 refund: WHO ARE YOU? :sweat_smile:

Refunds don’t happen without a reason. If a developer downloaded the asset, they usually need a serious reason to request a refund. The UAS also provides an intermediate review process for it.

In this case, it happened within a single day, and I didn’t receive any support requests. So I guess the user either made a mistake or simply changed their mind.

Anyway, I appreciate it, because any activity — changing the price or title, uploading with a new Unity version, or making a purchase — affects ranking in the store search.

Read More GameDev Tips about This Case above in this topic.


Learn my Tutorial for Publishers on Unity Asset Store


All Unity Asset Store Publishers are invited to join the Publisher Section of Unity Discussions.

You will get full access to the private Discussions section for Asset Publishers after your asset is approved, and then you’ll receive an email with instructions.

This subforum (it will become available after your application is approved) is a platform for publishers to grow as a community by holding discussions and sharing ideas.


Learn my Tutorial for Publishers on Unity Asset Store