Saving Space in Physics! - any ideas?

What are the best ways to streamline physics objects so that they take up as little processing power as possible? I’m making a game with TONS of physics objects, and I need it to be as convenient and stress-free as it can be. These are the ways I’m working on right now, any other ideas (or methods of implementing my ideas) are completely welcome!

-Start out all physics objects in Sleep
-When the player is over 1.5 screens away from the objects, make it Kinematic to take away the physics
-When the player is over 2 screens away from the object, remove the object’s rigidbody component altogether (and add it again when the player gets close)
-Put a rigidbody to sleep after it’s been stationary for 3 full seconds

This is all I’ve got so far, any ideas people?

Rigidbodies automatically sleep after they’re stationary for one frame. I’m not sure that the code necessary for turning this stuff on/off all the time wouldn’t actually be slower than just letting PhysX just handle the optimizations by itself, which it does quite well.

–Eric

It handles it well until there are mass amounts of objects going simultaneously, even if they’re stationary. The game I’m looking to develop has tens of thousands of physics-enabled objects, which is why I need to have them disabled when they’re not in use or offscreen. Unity handles it fine until there’s about 1,000 or so rigidbodies existing simultaneously, even if they’re asleep.