Should I Start With Basic C# or Unity C#?

Hi! I was wondering if i should start learning C# http://learncs.org somewhere like there, or should i go straight into Unity’s learn section? I already have basic knowledge of Unity’s API, like declaring variables, update, start, awake, and other functions, debug log, an objects transform, and more. I also am experiened with Unity Interface, like working with objects, scenes, components, and anything you can think of. Thanks!

If you have an understanding of programming in general, you are probably safe starting with some of the Unity C# tutorials and moving on from there. I didn’t have any C# experience at all when I started looking at Unity but I have programmed other languages and was able to apply what I knew to grasp the basic concepts.

If this is your first programming language, you might want to find a C# fundamentals type series to go through. There are a few Unity tutorial folks on YouTube who also have basic C# tutorial series that go through everything from describing what a namespace is, explaining conditional statements, loops, lists and arrays, etc. So might be something where you could find someone who you like their teaching style and get both basic C# and Unity specific training from.

Again, though… Which route you take would depend on your level of programming background and how quickly you can grasp it. If the stuff you described above is from a programming perspective, you probably wouldn’t have any problem going through a tutorial that jumps right into building a game. At least I wouldn’t think so. :slight_smile:

Any perticular tutorial you recommend?

It’s pretty much all the same thing. Maybe learn the basics of C# syntax (C# Yellow Book — robmiles.com) and then move into Unity specific practice/examples.

I just listed a bunch of youtube playlists from some of the people I have subscribed in another thread. Instead of listing them again, here is a link to my response there. I’ve found most of the c# tutorials in those playlists helpful. Some might be a bit more basic than others, but they all have had helpful information.