I’ve been longing for UI toolkit for a while and with the recent additions in Unity 6.6 I just want it more! But navigation has been a very hard blocker.
What are the plans on navigation? I want to be able to specify exactly what elements goes where in what direction, like the explicit navigation in uGUI. I don’t want my focus to go to some off-screen element or an element that is in a transition.
Using a gamepad/keyboard navigation with UI toolkit is practically a no-go.
I think the issue will be that we can’t reference other visual elements in a uxml hierarchy still. So there really isn’t a reliable away for explicit navigation to be provided as of yet.
Though in my experience the navigation works well so long as you’re conscious about what elements can actually be focused and their layout. Eg if you’re pushing an element off screen then set it .focusable = false.
Naturally if you’re aiming for gamepad then simplifying the layout of your focusable elements is good design anyway. Keep things to a single horizontal or vertical line, or a grid, and if anything special is needed there are events you can register to handle that: Unity - Manual: Navigation events