Things Running away

So i know how to make things attack me and come after me, easy. But how would i go about making something like an animal that runs away a if you go close to it (and only run a few meters not forever) any suggestions?

Without spending too much time on it, here is a simple example of how you might do this. Check the Update function in the Animal script for the meat of the action.

1. In an empty scene, create two cubes.

2. Give the first cube the tag “Player”. Create a new C# script called Player, copy the code below into that script, and attach the Player script to the first cube.

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;

public class Player : MonoBehaviour {

private Transform thisTransform;
     public float runSpeed = 20;

void Awake() {
     	thisTransform = transform;	
     	thisTransform.position = new Vector3(0, 0, 0);
     }

public Transform GetTransform() {
     	return thisTransform;	
     }

void Update() {

float keyboardX = Input.GetAxis("Horizontal");
    		float keyboardY = Input.GetAxis("Vertical");

var newPos = thisTransform.position + new Vector3(keyboardX, 0, keyboardY);	
     	thisTransform.position = Vector3.MoveTowards(thisTransform.position, newPos, Time.deltaTime * runSpeed);
     }

}

3. Create a new C# script called Animal, copy the code below into that script, and attach the Animal script to the second cube.

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;

public class Animal : MonoBehaviour {

Player player;
     Transform thisTransform;
     public float minDistance = 10;
     public float runSpeed = 10;

void Awake() {
     	thisTransform = transform;
     	thisTransform.position = new Vector3(2, 0, 2);
     }

void Start() {

player = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("Player").GetComponent<Player>();
     }

void Update() {

if(Vector3.Distance(player.GetTransform().position, thisTransform.position) < minDistance) {

Vector3 direction = thisTransform.position - player.GetTransform ().position;
     		direction.Normalize();
     		thisTransform.position = Vector3.MoveTowards(thisTransform.position, direction * minDistance, Time.deltaTime * runSpeed);
     	}
     }

}

4. Press play and chase the cube around!