Unity takes >1hr to open

I’ve been using Unity for a few years now and have consistently had an issue with the speed (or lack there of) that unity opens. The 2019 versions had no issues, but the 2020 and 2021 LTS versions both take over an hour to open. I have not tried the 2022 version as I typically wait for the LTS, but I wouldn’t expect anything different. My workaround for this has been to use my laptop, which somehow doesn’t have this issue, but I’m looking for anything I can do to make it faster on my desktop.

I’ve tried different combinations of unity install location and project location between my hard drive, SSD, and external. None have changed the load times in a meaningful way (obviously having everything on my SSD is faster, but its still >1 hour)

The step it usually takes the longest is “Importing”, but I’d expect that to be the case, especially on larger projects. It easily can take an hour on that step alone. Beyond that, a lot of time is spent on the “Resolving Packages” step of the package manager, regardless of if I’m making a new project or opening something I’ve already made. It does progress, but takes a long time to do so, 40-50min on average.

I doubt my computer specs are impacting this, but just in case:
Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 7 5800x Processor
24GB Ram (3 8GBs)
Nvidia RTX 3070

I’ve tried looking around for a fix and the only thing I’ve found is to delete the Library folder, but I don’t think that’s the issue since this occurs when I’m making a new project as well (as in no library folder to delete).

Is this just a me thing? Have other people had this issue? Has anyone solved the issue?

Umm… it’s your computer. What else could it be? The clues are it does it one two versions and it doesn’t do it on your laptop.

I wouldn’t have waited an hour for a project to load in 1978 I surely wouldn’t do it now. I would run some diagnostic tests, maybe bad RAM, drive failures, really bad fragmentation because you’re low on free space?

I don’t know but I load all sorts of projects on various versions and nothing takes more than a minute.

This reeks of an anti-virus meddling with the processing of files or network connections. That or a faulty/dying hard drive.

1 Like

Yeah, the antivirus was the problem. Added an exception and relaunched Unity and it took maybe 15min, which is a massive improvement from where I was

2 Likes