I just lost my work after Unity crashed on me. I clicked on “Save Project” after every small change I made to the terrain I was building. Opening up the project again after the crash and it is a total blank. I was informed in the IRC channel that I am supposed to save the scene, not the project. This does not make sense to me. A command like Save Project sounds like something that would save everything in the project I am currently working on.
So I am curious.
1: What is Save Project used for?
2: Is it just I that have missed this important information? I have toyed around with 1.5 example projects and read a bit here and there.
There are certain things you can change which are not scene specific, such as prefabs, asset import settings, player settings, etc. Save project would save everything that wasn’t associated directly with the scene you’re working on.
An analogy would be if you made formatting adjustments in a word processor application, or you made palette/filter adjustments in an art program. You wouldn’t be working on any specific file, but on the global settings. It’s not a perfect analogy, but hopefully it made sense.
Saving the scene is like saving the art file you’re working on. You can draw all you want, and save your color selections, filter patterns, etc, but until you hit ‘save document’, it isn’t saved.
I regularly use the “Save Scene” option. I don’t think I’ve ever used the “Save Project” command. I’m assuming that when you close the project, your project settings are saved. To be safe, you can save the project whenever you make project setting changes, which in the grand scheme of a game, isn’t too often.