Does anyone know if they wrote their own auto-rigger, or are they using a 3rd party software that’s integrated within their site? If they did write their own, does anyone know of software that’s very similar? I know Bones Pro for Max does a decent job, but it doesn’t seem anywhere near the one-click result like Mixamo…
Wait there is a auto rigger for Unity?
Can you provide a link?
No there isn’t. This thread is about Mixamo…
But you CAN output your model/rig as well as purchased animations from them and bring those into Unity very easily.
My GUESS is that they are either using motionbuilder natively and expanded it with a web-plugin for the translation of the mixed poses from the web interface to MB or they expanded it some more. Either way … it’s pretty much what motionbuilder can do: Process and apply MoCap data to Bone structures in varying complexity and do rigging/animation for bone structures.
It’s not to say they don’t use their own software to fit their own needs … it’s very much possible. It’s just as likely that they are using Motionbuilder though ![]()
I’m referring to the auto-rigging feature; in which you can import your mesh, position “dots” where the joints are, click a button and presto… your mesh is weighted accurately to a skeleton.
Google Pinocchio Auto Rigging – I wonder if they are using that.
Can pinocchio handle more than 2 legs?
Can mixamos autorigger can handle more than 2 leggs?
Can u pls provide a downloadlink for pinocchio, i dont find any ![]()
Greetz
Robert
Well the only thing I can find is this on it:
http://www.mit.edu/~ibaran/autorig/pinocchio.html
Blender Has a system that works like that. You simply position ‘dots’ where the joints are going to be and the rest of the skeleton will be drawn inbetween. THAT really is no rocket science. You position a point and it snaps to the center of the polygons underneath. Maybe if the algorithm doesn’t work as expected you need to have the user adjust in depth but it will roughly work. Then inbetween all those crucial points (neck, shoulder, ellbow, writst, knees and ankles) it’s really just a matter of automatically setting a pre-defined bone structure.
The system under the hood right there is probably their own or they are using some abstraction of the Blender Rigify code(it’s open source after all). The rest, I think, is motionbuilder. The most important thing to have is having the important joint coordinates exported from the interface (probably empty game objects/null objects) - the coordinates would be enough to create the rest.
[edit] BTW - the vertex weights could be any software, really. Cinema 4D has a pretty solid auto-weighting. So I would assume that other professional software has pretty solid auto-weighting, too. It could be any software really … something custom coded integrated into Unity, a middleware between the web interface and the Unity web player that gets called after the upload. I’m blank on that one, sorry. So I don’t even have any educated guess on the auto-weighting. It would really just be assumptions. There’s probably thousands of different ways to do this.
Well sure, building a skeleton is simple enough. But the time consuming part is the weighting the mesh to the skeleton, and getting the motion of the joints to bend just right…
That autoriggers are pretty impressive things. Overgrowth team (Wolfire games) is using autorigger for characters in their engine and it works flawless. I really hope that this technology comes in more popular game engines soon.
I believe Mixamo creates their own technology. I had a short email exchange with their CTO and cofounder about a year ago and that dude knows his stuff.
You might try Animeeple: http://www.animeeple.com.
It’s possibly similar technology to JimmyRig.
http://www.origamidigital.com/typolight/index.php/home.html
Search around for “volumetric rigging.”
Thank you guys for the love and appreciation. After looking at what was available we decided to develop our own solution to create something robust that would just work.
The Mixamo auto-rigger is different from everything else because it uses machine learning (man we spent long years in school at Stanford) to learn the best rigging/skinning from real artists. On top of that we threw a ridiculous amount of math to calculate optimal location of joints,deal with multilple overlapping/non-overlapping meshes etc.
The good news is that our little algorithm is just born and will be improving over time since we are now getting tons of users and thus feedback that we use to improve it. Send your feedback and we will make it even better!
@Headclot: Mixamo auto-rigger works for Unity through the FBX download format
@motionblur: I love motionbuilder, but it is not a rigging tool ![]()
@adamzeliasz: Mixamo auto-rigger is 100% our IP and code, yes a lot of sweat! ![]()
cheers.
Stefano Corazza
Mixamo CTO/CEO
I never said it’s a rigging tool but very good for setting up IK/FK for animation once the rig is done.
At least that’s what I used it for in that tiny small 1 month I had using it.
I admit that I don’t really know any recent version of it. The last version I was using was still having the Kaydara Logo. ![]()
[edit] I DID say it’s for rigging … mea culpa.
What I really meant was: using an existing rig for Animation setup or mocap.
… which it still is if I’m not completely mistaken.