Where should I start (647023)

So im wanting to learn how to script but I feel as if I should first learn more things about the engine itsself and all of the features of what it can do. I am only 15 and have been facinated in designing my own games. I do have a little bit of backround in LUA and im also currently learning HTML.

I just need to know where should I start before I begin the coding portion.

your feeling is somewhat right and wrong :slight_smile: there is no real reason to start with one or the other first, if you are inexperienced with both, you just have to pick something. A good starting point are the unity beginner tutorials and for coding, alot of programmers are trying to code “hello world” that appears in the log or on the screen somewhere. Since it’s a really simple start.

It can’t hurt to learn a bit about the interface of unity before, but the thing is, that if you are lacking everywhere, then even unity interface explanations can be overwhelming. I think it would be good if you simply open unity and start playing around with buttons, see what things do, then think about what you could try and try do that.
Like make a cube or move an object around the scene or change window positions etc. and for everything that you see which you don’t understand, google it.
This way you should be able to get the information step by step in small bites, which makes it easier to learn.
You can practically do the exact same for programming :slight_smile:
Learn what variables are and try using them. Learn what an if loop is and make something with it etc.

2 Likes

ok thanks will definitly be playing around and learning :slight_smile:

I will add that, even though you’re only 15, you’re well ahead of many people who come along, because you can write in complete sentences, with capitalization, punctuation, and even correct grammar. You may think that doesn’t matter, but it does — the compiler is stricter than any English teacher you’ve ever had. :wink: That sort of attention to detail, and (let’s be honest) general competence, suggests that you have what it takes to learn software development.

So dig in, have fun, and make something awesome! Just remember to start small, be patient, and level up your skills bit by bit.

7 Likes

Thanks for that reply JoeStrout. Ive always wanted to make games and know im finally taking the step. I’ll be sure to think about your comment when im not feeling good or motivated, Thanks! :smile:

I’d start with the scripting tutorials in the learn section.

The Unity interface is not really that difficult to pick up. And you can cherry pick from the other sections as you need it.

1 Like

It’s always good to know your way around the engine, but don’t sweat it if you don’t explore every nook and cranny. I’ve been using Unity for a long time now, and there’s tons I still don’t know about it.

The best thing to do (in my humble opinion) is to learn about the things you actually need to use to work on your project. Trust me, there will be plenty to take on, but you’ll always be learning for a more direct reason which helps me personally.

Goodluck!

Oh, and learn c# over the other guys. Future you will thank you.

1 Like