Why does a Unity plane contain 200 triangles?

I’ve been using unity planes (GameObject → 3d Object → Plane) for a while now. I just realized the plane contains 200 triangles. This seems excessive. I can create a plane in Blender using 2 triangles.

Does anyone if knows if the plane is just showing the triangles in editor, but is not that many triangles in the build?

j

They’re in the build. If you just want 2 triangles, use the Quad primitive, not the plane.

The 200 triangles are useful in some cases, such as materials that use vertex coloring, or some other kinds of shadows/shading which rely on vertex attributes. With only 4 vertices you won’t get a good result at all in cases like that. The default plane is a compromise that provides decent performance and decent results with pretty much any shader.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks. Ill try to replace the planes with the quad. But it looks like the quads are not the same rotation as the planes.

That’s true. Plane is really intended to be used as ground, so it is oriented horizontal by default. Quad is vertical and facing Z.

1 Like