Assets\Scripts\Player.cs(12,5): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'characterController' could not be found (are you missing a using directive o

Hello. I am having issues with a script that I have been writing for an assignment. I tried to play the scene from unity but it came up with:

Assets\Scripts\Player.cs(12,5): error CS0246: The type or namespace name ‘characterController’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Is there a way to fix this?

Here is the code:

// paste your code here instead of screenshotting a text editor

The error actually means that the character controller package hasn’t been installed

Try this fix:

1. Go to window, and click on the package manager option

2. In the Package manager window, go to the drop-down and click “In unity registry” and look for the character controller package and make sure it’s installed

3. In case you don’t find it there, u can install by name

com.unity.charactercontroller

@StarnataGalaxy Please let me know if this worked

That error means that it doesn’t recognize characterController as a name of something, this is usually misspelling or incorrect capitalization.

The name being lowercase differs from the code you have, and the line number is different from when you actually use it. This makes me think unity is running on a different version of the code from what you have uploaded. This could happen because the project was running when you updated it, or because you forgot to save.