"Billboard Asset"

In Unity 5, when I try to add a billboard compnent, it asks me to select a “billboard asset”. None show up in teh Standard Assets, nor does there seem to be any option in the editor to create a billboard asset, nor does the manual seem to mention them. A Google search of Unity’s website only finds the following post by someone asking about the subject, and receiving no answer: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/954871/billboard-renderer-1.html

The documentation has a page for it but i have not found a way (even with custom scripting) to create a BillboardAsset .
Would be nice to be able to use it.

The properties look like it belongs to the speedtree implementation…

Using a mesh particle renderer and a mesh particle emitter without a mesh defined could work. I think I will use it for grass. (with vertical billboard option)

Has anybody already found the answer of how to create a Billboard asset? :wink: