Blender: How to export tangents? (Or rather, import them with Unity?)

Hi.

I’m having a problem with meshes exported from Blender. FBX, DAE, or even Blend files and letting Unity do its thing doesn’t matter. If I select Tangents to import from mesh settings, I get this error:

Anything with normal maps just breaks down at after this. It just displays a greyish black color on meshes. Using the calculate option isn’t really an option, because mesh gets huge shading errors around UV seams.

UDK imports tangents from FBX files just fine, I can’t seem to make them work in Unity. I’ve tried recalculating normals, tried pretty much all combinations of export settings, tried edge splitting, triangulation, nothing seems to work?

How can I import tangents exported by Blender?

Blender’s current fbx exporter does not export tangent informations.

But luckily they working on a newer fbx exporter with the ability to export tangents and custom normals as we speak.

That’s cool.

For future reference, I found out it’s now available in Blender when exporting FBX files! It’s under the Geometries tab, at the bottom – make sure “Tangent Space” is checked on:

3553556--285940--upload_2018-7-4_18-2-2.png

1 Like

For anyone going through this problem, read ModLunar’s post above.:slight_smile:

Still having an issue here. Using unity shader graph and the I made a shader with a basic color + a bump map I made from a simple noise node. It woks on a unity object, but has no effect on an fbx I exported from blender, despite exporting tangent verticals. Any ideas?