Get field type of SerializedProperty

I’m in a situation where I require to know the type that a SerializedProperty is storing. I know the serialized property is of SerializedPropertyType.ObjectReference, but that’s all I can work out.

What I need is the actual type (GameObject, Transform, TextAsset, Camera, etc.). Is there any way of doing this?

Thanks

This works also for properties inside arrays

//gets parent type info
 string[] slices = prop.propertyPath.Split('.');
 System.Type type = prop.serializedObject.targetObject.GetType();

for(int i = 0; i < slices.Length; i++)                
     if (slices *== "Array")*

{
i++; //skips “data[x]”
type = type.GetElementType(); //gets info on array elements
}

//gets info on field and its type
else type = type.GetField(slices*, BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Public | BindingFlags.FlattenHierarchy | BindingFlags.Instance).FieldType;*

//type is now the type of the property

I resorted to using reflection, although I had hoped I wouldn’t need to. I’d still like to know any solutions that are more straightforward.

string[] parts = property.propertyPath.Split('.');

Type currentType = target.GetType();

for (int i = 0; i < parts.Length; i++)
{
	Debug.Log(currentType + " " + parts*);	*

_ currentType = currentType.GetField(parts*, BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Public | BindingFlags.FlattenHierarchy | BindingFlags.Instance).FieldType;_
_
}*_

Type targetType = currentType;
Essentially, using the path of the property, I find the field with reflection to get the type.

@Narmdo Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. If you want the object reference type of the property you can use regex and Type.GetType, or if you’re in a PropertyDrawer you can just use the PropertyDrawer.field field. Here are two methods from my EditorExtensions library.

public static string GetPropertyType(SerializedProperty property)
    {
        var type = property.type;
        var match = Regex.Match(type, @"PPtr<\$(.*?)>");
        if (match.Success)
            type = match.Groups[1].Value;
        return type;
    }

public static Type GetPropertyObjectType(SerializedProperty property)
    {
        return typeof(UnityEngine.Object).Assembly.GetType("UnityEngine." + GetPropertyType(property));
    }