What is the fastest path to getting started on Unity 2D?
I can’t find any 2D-oriented tutorials or documentation. The only thing I’ve found so far is the 2D splash page with a half-hour showcase video.
I don’t have any prior experience with Unity, and am just looking to learn the new 2D tools. At this time, I don’t care about the 3D aspects of Unity, and would prefer not to waste time wading through a ton of 3D-oriented tutorials and documentation. I’m evaluating Unity 2D to possibly migrate a team of Flash developers to Unity; I need to figure out what Unity 2D is capable of, and I need to figure out how easy it will be for non-Unity developers to learn just the 2D features.
So I’m hoping someone can recommend a clear path to learning Unity 2D that isn’t simply “Learn everything about Unity 3D and then the new 2D tools will feel obvious.”
@unitylover awesome! Can’t wait to see the tutorials you’re going to make. Are you planning on making a complete game throughout the series you’re working on? If so what type of game will it be as am just curious but it would be cool to have a couple of different tutorials covering different genres in the future.
The first video or so will mainly be about introducing the Unity environment while focusing on 2D game development. The end result is going to be a 2D top-down rpg game from the ground up so really it could go on for quite awhile. I’m really trying to give everyone a beginner to intermediate perspective of the whole game development process from one indie developer to another. I am however open to covering any other genre if there is a demand for it. You can never have enough things to learn from.
Anyways, I’d like to get the first video published asap but real life things like kids, car troubles and spontaneous plumbing disasters have been plaguing me for the last week so expect to see the first videos start popping up this week, probably toward the end.