Helicopter Physics (Realistic helicopter physics)

Create stunning Helicopter Physics with damage system with the new Helicopter Physics pack.

Whether its a arcade Helicopter or a real Helicopter for a simulation game this pack is a must have. Now with the support for mobile devices. Physics updated with v4.0

This pack also includes scripts to simulate crashing and explosion based on flight behaviour.

Price - 15$ only
Asset store link:
Buy now at 15$

Changelog:

New Version 4.0

  • Better Physics
  • New mouse controls and keyboard controls changed
  • Modified Terrain scene

Version 3.0 (solved all damage system bugs)

Features:

  • Easy-to-use scripts
  • Both mouse and keyboard controls.
  • All Physics values are modifiable.
  • Realistic explosion effects
  • Missiles and Gun (BETA)
  • Crash simulation and helicopter health
  • GUI (BETA)
  • Two Helicopters included (free models)
  • Based on default physics system
  • Two demo scenes.
  • Four camera views.
  • Updated with better physics and crash detection. (can detect upside down of helicopter)
  • Support for mobile devices

Screenshots:





Youtube video: (shows old version check new version yourself by playing web player demo)

Asset store link:
Buy now at 15$

Unity Magic store link:
Purchase from Unity Magic

Webplayer Demo:
Scene 1
Scene 2 (terrain)

This looks pretty great! From the video it looks very very smart but i’m having a bit of an issue with the webplayer controls - the w and s keys do nothing and the a and d keys bank the camera in the wrong direction. I’ll check on my other computer later as this ones a bit knackered anyways but I thought you had better check. I have a few quick questions, do the flight physics tune right down to something quite small and nimble, like gyrocopter? That would mean extremely quick turning and manouverability? And quite importantly, is this written in C#? If so to both of these, and i get a good session with a webplayer that responds to the control properly, you got a sale!

W+S do work but A + D do seem backwards in the web demo.

I don’t like the way rotation is very limited, real helicopters can do loops and rolls. The lift and turning appears to work by speeding up and slowing down the rotors, which just isn’t how helicopters work. Overall the flight isn’t realistic at all. The damage and explosions work well though.

You can easily modify the amount of rotation in the script. and helicopters do move by speeding slowing down the rotor speed as increasing the speed of the rotor increases the velocity of the air above and creates a pressure difference which causes a lift . Similarly the tail rotor helps the helicopter to rotate.
ASnd for your kind information REAL HELICOPTER CANNOT PERFORM LOOPS AND ROLL only RC HELICOPTER CAN. As the script uses real datas so modifying the data may make it possible.
http://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,,-186989,00.html

The script is written in javascript the w key increases the main rotor speed and s decreases the main rotor speed. The flight physics is based on real values taken from wikipedia. However you can easily convert it to c# as the format is very simple or I will releasse it later as an update.

Modern military helicopters can do loops and rolls, I’ve seen Gazelles and and Apaches looping myself.

This one doesn’t loop but it shows how very maneuverable they are.

I’m very interested to know the copyright status of the included helicopter models. Those are ‘name brand’ helicopters, and the design is copyrighted…please explain your licensing agreement with the makers of the HH-60 helicopter….?

The design is not exactly similar and its a unity asset so chill. Anyways the Unity guys did not have any objections.

Pls check the new update I have added it. Use the slider to adjust the torque value

The unity guys don’t confirm that you have the rights to use the model. You are fraudulently setting people up for failure by passing off a copyrighted design in your asset. Anyone who uses this is opening themselves up to litigation. Not all of us can hide in India where you can just ‘chill’ about stealing intellectual property. Again, confirm you downloaded a HH-60 model off the internet and are passing it off as your own? Sikorsky Aircraft Corp owns the design patent to the helicopter model you are replicating with your asset.

This is exactly where the asset store fails the customer - we have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA if the assets we are ‘buying’ are actually going to legally transfer to us. For example, if you randomly download illegal content, repackage it, slap a name on it, and sell it on the asset store, you have NOT legally transferred anything to the buyer. This type of behavior puts the entire asset store in question….who knows what you are buying!?

First of all it is named heliUH-60 not UH-60 so its not copy next I’m not charging for model I’m charging for script. I can give you the model for free. AQnd why are you getting so angry its a 3d model I have not designed an entire helicopter. And Mr even Unity includes a helicopter model uh-1N in the bootcamp demo if you have noticed go ask them for copyright. And btw see this https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/9414

New version Released today with extra features -

  • Better Damage system
  • New Gun
  • Modifiable torque.

Hey could you tell me how to get the helicopter to lift I press w and the helicopter just stays on the ground.
Or could you refund me the $10. Can’t find the controller script for windows.

Is there a script that changes the y direction of the helicopter I don’t see the command in the scripts.

What is the problem you are facing you wiil have to replace the InputManager.asset for the input settings to work.The inputmanager.asset is there in the ‘Input and layer’ folder copy to the Project Settings folder of your Project. Or you can manually set this see the manual included for details. And there is only 1 script which contains both codes for Windows and Android. It all depends on the Platform you use in Unity

The Helicopter uses Physicvs system for movement not Transform based so forces are applied in the Fixed Update of Helifin Script

Hi, just a little heads up; most helicopters doesn’t change the speed of the motor(and rotor) when increasing lift, rather it is increasing the angle of attack on the main rotor blades (they look for rotor speed to be static).

Second; when yawing(turning around the Y axis) the angle of attack on the tailrotor is changed. Also the tail rotor speed is often around 4 times the main rotor’s speed.

Third and final: I’m also worried about the copyrights for the models you use. As a senior year aeronautics student, I know that EVERYTHING about planes and it’s relations are VERY STRICT

1 Like

Dude I’m a class 12 student and have no idea about real helicopter I did just what game Helicopters are like. and its for unity engine btw models are free and one of them is there in the bootcamp demo of unity

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/07/videogames-guns-idUSL2N0CS2A220130507

See I said many times that these are free models. I have not created them. It said it can be used for commercial one of them(uh-1n) is there the bootcamp demo of unity. If you are worried about copyright just dont use it in your game. Use your own model. The script and the scenes are created by me and I’m selling them not the models! The title clearly states Helicopter Physics not model.