How do you guys get 3D models?

Hey Guys!

My name is Quist and i´ve been here in Unity3D for around 1,5 years and this is where i started playing with coding and game development.

So after i´ve practiced my scripting skills a lot im starting to lack 3D models to hold my scripts!
So my question is: How do you guys get models to your games?

  • I use Unity Asset Store but its very limited and hard to mix the assets.

Also I dont want to be an artist so i have never bothered with Blender or such programs.

So what do you guys suggest me to do to get some 3D models?

  • Use my time to learn how to create them myself?
  • Or what do you guys think / do? :slight_smile:

You can

  1. Learn to model (blender is free)
  2. Pay people to make models for you.
  3. Collaborate with others (non-commercial, most likely)
  4. Buy models from many online shops.
  5. Switch to simpler visual style where you can still create the art yourself.
  6. Download and use whatever can be found for free on sites like blendswap.
2 Likes

You forgot procedural mesh geometry inside Unity.

I´ve thought about collaborating, but the Unity forum seems like a sausage party, where the coders are the sausage… Am i wrong in my observation or how difficult do you guys find it for a beginner - medium coder to find a collaboration?

1 Like

IMO, if you dont want to to an artist, dont even try. Its VERY time consuming to make quality work, plus you need to have a natural talent as well.

Your time is much better doing what you do best and what you actually know how to do. Use the asset store and other sites like turbosquid when you can. Or try to find someone with similar interests in making a game like you want to make and team up.

-_-

Yes, procedural geometry can be used, but for majority of cases it is not worth mentioning or even considering.

Go ahead and make a realistic procedural knight with sword, textures and pbr materials. I’ll wait.

5 Likes

Thanks man!
I will try and look for an artist for my next project then :slight_smile:

  • Right now i´ve designed my games so they require minimal artistic skills.

What I did was make sure I could purchase enough assets to make an MVP by myself and not need to rely on anyone. Trying to find quality help that doesnt get bored and stop producing after 2 weeks is like trying to find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, been there, done that, fuck that. If my MVP proves to be viable, I will hire artists to create custom art.

EDIT: Also, try not to base your game on an artstyle, try to remain flexible. For instance, you have a really good idea to make a tower defense game and you envision a scifi theme. You probably wont find enough assets for that, but for a fantasy theme you probably could.

2 Likes

Here you go!

Very realistic… but that outfit doesn’t seem like it’d help much against a dragon. :stuck_out_tongue:

You can also design your games to avoid 3D models.

It’s magic!

Thanks man, sounds like a good plan! :slight_smile:

  • What is an MVP by the way?
    I guess it ain´t Most Valuable Player haha…

Minimum Viable Product.

Basically, the minimum you need to make a viable (sellable) product that represents the final product but can be expanded upon to make a more complete game.

MVP: Maximum Vertex Polygon, if you don’t know this you are lost with respect to modelling. :slight_smile:

Actually, it is minimum viable product. Basically, the minimum product that you can still sell.

I think it is still quite valuable to learn to model even if you are not going to produce your own models from scratch. It is nice to be able to change models a little to fit what you want. Also programs like substance painter are a great way to change up model textures and are not too hard to learn. Most of the models that I am using are from the app store. The characters that I use were made in Adobe/Mixamo Fuse.

1 Like

Would trading your programming skills for artwork fall under number three?

1 Like

I put vertices under my pillow each night, and in the morning I find completed 3d models!

Thank you polygon fairy!

5 Likes

Have you seen some Steam games out there? They’re not pretty models by any means, but they get the job done. There are players like myself who would buy any game, as long as its fun.

I’m no artist, but I make 3d models to depend on myself more. I plan on selling my shitty art. Maybe the games will be fun someday? I think it’s in your best interest to expand your horizons and learn how to make 3d art.

1 Like

Agree - and you can combine #5 with #2 or #3 so the art is easier to create. Easier = cheaper.

1 Like

I recommend you take up some Blender if you have trouble finding art help. It isn’t as hard as it could be, and there is no reason you have to have super complex models either. Someone mentioned above how some steam games aren’t pretty, but the models are “functional.” I’m not much of an artist, but I’ve managed to learn my way around Blender, and between the Substance Suite and Gametextures.com, I’m trying to get the job done.

2 Likes