Interactive public roadmap changes

Hi everyone,

Since 2021, the interactive public Unity Roadmap at Unity Product Roadmaps | Unity has been a place where creators could explore our plans and share feedback. Over time, our products, priorities, and ways of working have evolved, leading to challenges in keeping the displayed information accurate and clear.

To ensure the information we share is always current, easy to navigate, and genuinely useful, we’re retiring the existing interactive roadmap for now.

While we rethink the structure of this content, we will replace the interactive roadmap with the latest high-level roadmap information from Unite 2025, and intend to update it twice a year. Additionally, you can find more detailed technical roadmap information from our various teams on Unity Discussions by following the Roadmap tag. We also continue to invite your feedback here on Discussions, either by responding to our Official topics or by sharing your thoughts proactively via the Feedback tag.

Contents of the retired interactive roadmap page will remain accessible in a read-only state at Product roadmaps | Unity.

We’d love to hear your feedback about our roadmap and the level of information and retroaction that you expect from it. Please share your questions and thoughts in the comments below.

13 Likes

What is exactly the problem with the actual Unity Product Roadmaps | Unity ? The only problem for me was that it was not updated constantly. Was it not flexible enough for you?

5 Likes

Appreciate this - the current version is full of inaccuracies and is significantly more difficult to navigate than what you’ve had in the past.

Honestly, just copying exactly what Epic does would be a significant improvement - it’s (to my knowledge) kept up to date, is easy to navigate between versions, categories are logically laid out, makes good use of screen real estate, and there’s search. In contrast, the Unity roadmap is a vertical scroll-fest, with of out-of-date information, little to sometimes no information about which features were released where, and no search. Not to be rude, but I find it awful to use in every way - this is what you get on the main page and is more or less representative of the experience as a whole:

vs this:

A couple of other random thoughts that I don’t have great solutions for:

  • When features are canceled (like the World Building tools, behaviour tools, etc) the messaging is often very unclear for a time. It might be nice to have that information represented here in some dimension, at least for some limited duration. Maybe a ‘Canceled’ or ‘On Hold’ section?
  • I like the idea of submitting ideas, but it’s never been clear whether the best way to do that is via the forums or the roadmap. The roadmap feels like the most ‘official’ way, but it’s kind of a blackhole → Are the messages being read? Am I wasting my time doing this? Did I already submit this idea? I wonder what other users are submitting that I could also contribute to? etc. Not that I’d recommend building some fancy system for this, just the thoughts I’ve had when I use that feature.
12 Likes

I figured it was probably due for a reset.

I guess I would like to see better categorization, there being like 4 sections related to graphics is a bit goofy.

There’s also not much focus on other areas of unity. Like it’s rare to see any status on the UVC and such or new areas like if you guys ever add a task and document management service like Jira and Confluence (the integration in external tools is so lacking man​:weary_face:). And then there’s that recent web thing you guys launched that wasn’t even on the road map as a thing planned at all.

I would like to see ON the road map when the next update to the roadmap is planned. Checking it randomly kind of sucks, and usually it wouldn’t even change after a Unite. I guess by twice a year you mean once after GDC and then once after Unite. It would be cool to see that at least roughly codified on the roadmap page.

It would also be nice to get a notification when somethings status changes. I would say that would be a valuable change, even if it’s like just on the forums or something.

Quick note I’m pretty sure these are the exact same system, Unreals looks like the way the unity roadmap used to look. It’s just they changed to a vertical format, cause previously it was split by pages.

Nothing ever has resulted from submitting ideas via the previous roadmap submission process to my knowledge. It was a convenient way of deflecting valid feedback that didn’t align with Unity’s/product manager’s goals or for people lower on the totem pole to disengage from discussing things they can’t influence.

5 Likes

I’ve seen them be enthusiastic about people posting ideas to the board, but yes I’ve never seen results from it. I dunno if it’s lack of notifications or what, but yeah it does feel like it goes to the void.

3 Likes

I don’t think the roadmap is problematic per se. Some packages have had around 3-4 product managers in the past 6 years. With ever revolving doors and changing priorities it’s hard to deliver on promises made two managers ago due to changed market conditions, layoffs, tech debt and dev cycle being generally slow. They might also want to finally be free from commitments made under the previous Unity leadership from the funding rich covid times. Belts are tightening everywhere except speculative AI investment.

Apologies for double posting but the roadmap talks have become 90% recaps, 10% a peak into things that might come to Unity but no promises per roadmap talk disclaimer. I find these hour long recap talks to be generally a waste of my time since I follow engine development and already know about the things I care about. They seem to be designed more for industry adjacent people, not the engine users.

Here’s the current description from the link:

I guess some people might find a year of Discussion post summaries somewhat useful but calling it a “roadmap” is a bit of a stretch.

11 Likes

Roadmaps should be Gantt Charts. Include tooltips or links to more info. A long winded video twice a year does less and takes longer.

If you don’t have dates for anything, thats called a Backlog or Wishlist. That can be a Kaban board or card grid.

4 Likes

The very first version of the roadmap was exactly similar to Epic’s. The “vertical” version was a newer one introduced since Unite 2024, I guess.

It looks like they’re trying new front-end for many things, even the front-end of Unity blog is now at the 3rd version.

No mention of anything post Unity 6, oh boy.

1 Like

I have had a love-hate relationship with roadmaps for a long time. They can be useful if they communicate the long-term direction of the product. The roadmap did this to a degree, but it was at times rather fine-grained. It had items on it that remained in the “Under Consideration” for close to half a decade. The title in practice translated as not within the next 6 months. In general, if you cannot commit to releasing a feature, you should probably not add it to the roadmap, in my opinion. The very title “Under Consideration” does not belong on a roadmap, in am convinced that such a title would be a better fit for a wishlist.

I am not saying that you cannot include longer-term items on the roadmap. Doing so can be helpful as it gives a direction of travel. However, it should be limited to long-term strategic items like moving to CoreCLR. Which you can commit to seeing through within a 2-5 year time frame. Not for fine-grained features, which do not currently have any developers assigned to them.

7 Likes

Thank you all for the feedback.

Yes, this was part of the challenge here, we’re looking for a little les s details to ensure it stays up to date.

Yes, we couldn’t give you a good way to keep track of your submissions on the roadmap while Discussions is public space we can refer to at all times. That’s why we’re regrouping there while we rethink what the roadmap could be.

I can confirm we did use a lot of the community input, though I wouldn’t be able to confirm if your specific feedback has ever resulted in a product change. Submission tracking is what we need to get better at.

That’s fair! We have another roadmap content scheduled for Unite next week, and we still recap a lot of what happened since 6.0. The main reason is that 6.1, 6.2, and upcoming 6.3 are still “the future” to most productions based on 2022 LTS and 6.0 LTS. This said, we do have conversations about doing a roadmap that is more at the intention level, and make a better effort to summarize and present the value of recent releases.

There will be more details in the roadmap talk at Unite next week about how we intend to deliver innovations in upcoming updates of Unity. A big part of our focus currently is to deliver incremental updates that are easy to migrate to while allowing us to make progress with architectural updates.

Thanks again everyone!

12 Likes

Hope to see a VOD at least for the Unity Roadmap, live would be better obviously.

I still think you should have kept the old roadmap system. Going through a blog/ discussion post doesn’t really seem like the most intuitive way to view upcoming features or provide feedback. What was wrong with the old system?

Draw a road that doesn’t exist? :joy:

1 Like

It was never up to date and only got semi regular updates once or twice a year before key events like Unite and maybe GDC with a few exceptions. Some sections were kept empty for years only for new items to appear out of thin air in time for events as completed like the entire 2D roadmap. Other sections had items in progress for 5 years or more and ended up being entirely abandoned like the Gameplay/Visual Scripting roadmap. “Under consideration” items were mostly a wishlist forever teasing us with key requests that very rarely materialized. Request a feature button sent the request into a black void with no further feedback - at best it was put under consideration wishlist, but mostly they went ignored as far as anyone can tell. Lots of items were added 5-8 years ago and haven’t been completed to this day - if you see something on the roadmap, I don’t think it should take more than two years, maybe three years. It’s not really a relevant information if something will maybe be implemented a decade later.

For most of its existence it felt like a marketing tool more than a roadmap and Unity clearly didn’t have the necessary systems in place to keep it accurate. We have lost nothing by them taking it down.

3 Likes

I was linked here from Unity’s Bug reporting portal, I was told to put my feature request here. So here it is, should be easy to solve and implement and would be a huge QoL improvement:

Problems with Splines

  • the spline gizmos are hard to be made out and clicked at, ie the knot gizmo and the line gizmo visibility depend on the screen resolution

  • there is no public api to change the colors and the gizmo sizes

  • there are editor preferences for splines, but they lack colors for knots, knot size and line size

  • reflection solutions don’t work because Unity uses constants in the classes for eg the sizes

2 Likes

I agree splines could be improved, OffTopic: I recently reported a bug in which Multi spline knot editing was crashing the Editor when DirectX 12 was used, fixed by now.