Lander Commander : UA 2008 (Competition Version Done!)

Alright!
So after about a month of work I’ve finally come to a point where I think you all will like it. This is Lander Commander (I know its a silly name, but I’m commited, and its too much work to change it). This games controls are based on the old lunar lander games, but the format is that of an adventure game. Since my last post I’ve added 2 new beautiful planets to play on (screenshots below), a custom ship maker (its not just asthetic, it actually effects how it flies, so tune it to fit your playing style), and a cool little planet selection GUI. Its eventually intended for iPhone release so I had to keep all the polygons to a minimum. It goes to show how powerful Unity Indie is.

Controls:
Up and Down: Thrust Up and Down
Left and Right: Rotate Left and Right
Space: Shoot a missile (destruction is fun so you get unlimited missiles)

Any comments you have are more than greatly appreciated.

Something I need help with:
I cant for the life of me figure out how to get an alpha layer on the icon for my game, so rather than it be ugly im just leaving it out. Additionally, how do you add an image to that opening screen, where you select resolution?

Another note:
its about midnight right now and I havent had time to playtest this copy (I’m really excited about posting it), so if there is some really obvious bug put a post up and ill fix it tommorow morning.

Planet Foogle:

Planet Shartroom:

Planet Venus:

Guys I really do need some help figuring out how to make icons with an alpha layer and images for the opening screen.

Edit:
By opening screen i mean the rectangle above on the first window to open, where you can change resolution and edit used Inputs.

Didn’t get too far, kept on blowing up. Maybe make the start a bit easier ?

How would you make it easier? A different control setup maybe, or just slow everything down a bit, or make one where left and right instead of rotate just moves you left and right, and up and down moves you up and down. Maybe i need to add a training level before having you jump right into it. Let me know what you think.

I love it!
How to make it better:
I think you should remove the text when you die, so you can keep playing faster. You should also have a training page. I would also refine menus, but that really isnt that necessary. If you get that this game should win!

Great game. Very addicting. One of the better quality games. Its a little too hard, but I agree with what the guy above me said. Good luck Gizzerd.

Great look, loved it…

The only thing that didn’t fit to… the whole greatness :P, it was the hud.
Looked a bit out of place in comparison with the great visual style of the background etc.

Overall, it was amazing. Good luck with it…

Thanks everyone.
To TheWalrus (lol, great sn btw):
I quickly coded the auto respawn. I also have made the begginings of the training page. I will have it so that there is very little damage from hitting walls, and a bunch of pretty targets to shoot at, that will respawn after you kill them.
To soad667:
I would never have noticed it, but the HUD is really out of place. All shiny when the game is supposed to be tooney. I’ll see what else I can think of.

Keep thinking everyone!

Actually, if you change the fuel/armor bars to something more toony (it doesn’t have to be a bar, maybe dots or something)
and replace the fonts armor/fuel with some logos, i think it should do the trick…

Btw, here are some examples…
Fuel: one - two
Armor: one
With some filters to make them fit in the toony look you want to achieve and voila!

It’s your call! :wink:

Thats exactley what I was thinking for the HUD. It’ll be a little tricky remaking it, but I think It’ll be worth the effort. Thanks.
I was also thinking I’d take after Starship Eleven and have 2 different control setups, lunar lander and typical arrow keys. For each I’ll have a different ship customizer, which I’ll finish tonight. That way those of you who think its too hard can play easier, and those of you up for a challenge will do it the better way. I still have to come up with concept art for this stuff, but I have some ideas.

New Update Tommorow! Check back.

I agree w/ soad. You should have the bars glow a bit when they’re lit up, or just be tooney squares when they’re not. They should also be set up in a semi circle, instead of a pile. I like your two different control setups idea. Im curious to see what you make out of that. I’ll definately check back tommorow :smile:. Good luck.

Good fun! I have always loved lander games and plan to have a lander-minigame inside galactic fleet.

One suggestion, perhaps you could make the ship a bit smaller? It feels a bit cramped with little room to move about.

Alright Everyone. A little behind schedule but I got the new version done today. I have added a WHOLE BUNCH OF STUFF (easy mode, saves, more sounds, bugfixes, etc)! DOWNLOAD THIS, and TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK! The webplayer will be updated tomorrow morning.

How the missiles work in easy mode:
-The last direction key you pressed is the direction your missiles will fire. For example, if you jet upwards, then press space, the missile will fire upwards. Dont worry everyone, this was just a quick fix. A new version is coming.

Webplayer:
http://www.vampiricbunny.com/Lander%20Commander.html

As another unrelated topic, to Unity People:
I already entered my game in UA 2008, but personally think the title is one of the DUMBEST TITLES EVER! Am I allowed to change it midway through, w/ out being disqualified?

I like what you’ve done with this. Very quality work. The missiles on the Easy mode ship missiles are a bit confusing, and took me a little while to figure out. I also think you should make it automatically save and load things on quit and startup. Other than that good progress.

Everyone, how do I put an image in this white space on top?

In the editor go to Edit>>Project Settings>>Player Settings. From there, choose the Texture2D that you’d like to have as the “Resolution Dialog Banner”

Thanks man. Works great now. So what do you think of the game?

I had fun with it, though it’s pretty difficult.

That’s fair. I’ve tried to make it easier, but I think as a genre its just difficult. I’ve settled for making it good for what it is. Too late to start over for the competition. I’m confident it’ll be easier on the iPhone, where rotating the phone rotates you. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

P.S:
I want to know what everyone thinks. It helps my ego to get told its a good game, or get things that I can change.