Hey guys! IM pretty new to Unity aside from a few months, but have years of experience with software development. Currently trying to try my luck with creating my own game! For starters, I am trying to do a similar game to “Thief Simulator” .
What I’m needing help with, Is how to go about implementing a mini game type situation? For example, I walk up to a door, I hit the action key, then a mini window/ mini game will pop up where I have to maneuver the pick to unblock and reach success.
Any guidance, advice, links, videos or tutorials to how to go about this is very much appreciated! Thanks!
I’m currently working on a similar sort of game where its a platformer but then switches to a bunch of these different “mini games”. And what I did to control that is I created a global variable called “GameState” which equalled a string, for example “Main Menu”, “Pause”, “Run” (for base game), “Mini-Game Name”, etc. Then I designed all these different states around that one global variable so that nothing ran over the top of another. You don’t want to be controlling the main menu and also moving the player in the background for example, or you don’t want the AI moving around constantly while the game is paused. Anyway, hope that helps. Good luck with your venture.
Thanks man! This was a great initial approach! I like the idea of having a main global Var, then simply switching between states as a whole new yet unique state, while being entwined with the main global. I am understanding this correctly right? Thank you for this perspective. Although, I was looking for more a "Unity" type answer. How would I go about implementing the mechanics within the Unity software? Regardless, the advice is great, thank you! Would you by chance know of any documentation, other posts, or any tutorials that may be beneficial for this route? Thanks again!
So To continue this, Which by the way Lexgear, thank you again for your advice, but the advice you gave is more toward the programming logic aspect, I am pretty solid on the programming logic. However, what I’m not sure about, is how to set up this type of a mechanic, WITHIN the Unity software?
Where could I find some tutorials or documentation on how to go about something like this? Where when a certain Button is pressed on said Object, a mini window will appear with a mini game type situation on it? I honestly Have no idea where to look in regard of doing something like this. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I haven’t yet implemented such a feature myself, but thinking about it, I would use a multi-camera setup.
The concept of this is: Have a camera A render only objects belonging to your main game (the thief simulator). Then have a camera B render only objects belonging to your minigame, and store this render as a texture. Finally, display the texture as an image within camera A.
This method might be the most complex one to set up, but it probably is also the most robust and versatile one. You’d implement your minigame as you would implement any other game in Unity, using the 3D world coordinate system, Unity’s render pipeline, physics et cetera. Everything would work like normal. Then after you rendered your minigame to a texture, you can freely layout the texture in your Thief Simulator view.
Thank you very much for this response! Sorry for my delays. But this was a very good perspective to get me on the right path. AWESOME! One last curiosity. Lets say I get this mini game to pup up, and of course nothing will happen until the game is successfully completed. How would I go about giving a success to this secondary mini game window, and thus closing it to continue with a boolean of entering or not? In this case pick locking a door for example. Thanks again for all the help guys! Keep it coming please! This is only the start im sure..
Thanks man! This was a great initial approach! I like the idea of having a main global Var, then simply switching between states as a whole new yet unique state, while being entwined with the main global. I am understanding this correctly right? Thank you for this perspective. Although, I was looking for more a "Unity" type answer. How would I go about implementing the mechanics within the Unity software? Regardless, the advice is great, thank you! Would you by chance know of any documentation, other posts, or any tutorials that may be beneficial for this route? Thanks again!
– EsC369