I’d like a frank discussion about unity certifications. I’ve been looking to do certified programmer but the course page isn’t updated (links to courseware are 404!!), there’s no info on exam objectives, the “internet” reviews of courseware are that it’s lacking, and out dated and not worth the money, and most insulting to the community of all is unity are no where to be seen on this board.
I’m concerned that they’re doing what they always do, discover a new way to fleece the community (Unity learn pro training at ludicrous prices) so let the other way ie courseway, die off. Is the exam even updated for unity 2020? Plus the Certified associate exam objectives were last updated in 2018.
There’s just nothing offered from unity to reassure as to the credibility of the exam, nor their interest in it long term.
I’ve emailed unity support for answers but not holding my breath! can an official unity rep address my concerns please?
Others that have taken / are thinking of taking it what was the exam like, do you think it’s actually worth it given unity seem to be shifting focus to pro training now (based on the survey at the top of the forum page, and no answers from unity to peoples questions) Are unity certs going the way of unity in general and abandoning core users to focus on half finishing the “next big thing”?
this may appear negative but it’s born of frustration from the lack of, and poor quality of info from unity on this in general.
I think they used to have an old “Unity Certified Programmer” which most of your feedback sources talk about but they have a new (?) system now which 4 different ranks: Beginner, Associate, Professional, Expert.
But you are 100% right: The general lack of information is super frustrating! Other than the short and general description there is no word on how much of a jump there is between tiers and someone mentioned they didn’t even bother to update the courseware.
I still haven’t bought the test even though I’ve been thinking about it for weeks, because right now I don’t even know where I stand. I am pretty sure I can handle Associate since the junior pathway barely contained anything new for me and from the description I am rather confident about it. But apparently there is a big difference to professional which obviously would look much much better on the resume I guess and I love in a country that loooves certificates for everything.
The test isn’t cheap and I’d be paying out of my own pocket so I am just sitting here waiting for them to bring an update someday to bring some light into the dark
But given how unity behave, how long will it be before Associate / Pro exams are deprecated. The last time the content for exam was updated was 2018 and it uses 2017LTS which is another red-flag in terms of how serious unity are about the exams.
I’ve STILL not got anything back from support in almost a week either.
This is typical of unity really, they’ve a pretty awesome ecosystem that could easily rival unreal but they focus on money grabbing rather than developing the core systems. I’m thinking MS certifications and publish a couple games might be better than paying for these certs, unity seem to care less about.
Check this. Certified Pro is base on unity 2017. Coursera is same as one you can get for free. Preparation Course is easy version of real exam. To be honest to prepare for it you need spent some time on all sources → unity learning, book, check google list in topic i posted and have a little luck.
so, got a reply from Unity and it seems there’s an overhaul coming “early next year” so I’d suggest waiting to buy anything, certainly don’t buy the courseware / practice exams in their current state.
Haaha, yah fast-forward to 2022, they haven’t updated it. Don’t waste your money people, it’s 2022 and the Unity certification courseware is still from 2017. WTF? Wish I’d known…now I gotta try and get a refund. I’m in Canada so it was $150 and I am feeling like I just got robbed, guess I’ll stick with YT and Udemy.