For some reason, Unity picks up input, as both Input.GetAxis(“Vertical”) and Input.GetAxis(“Horizontal”) do not evaluate to 0 even when nothing is pressed (both are constantly stuck at +1). Strangely, the Input debugger does not list any devices which are producing this output.
Additionally, everything works fine when I press play for the first time. However, upon making any minor change (e.g. moving an object, adding a comment in a script), the bug begins to appear. I have checked the windows device manager, and have unplugged all devices which did not resolve the issue. Notably, no other applications encounter this, so this must be a solely Unity issue.
The Input debugger is for the Input System, but the methods you mentioned are legacy Input.
If you have a gamepad connected, perhaps the thumbsticks don’t center perfectly anymore. This is a common wear issue. Increasing the deadzone helps. I have gamepads so badly worn that they require a deadzone of nearly 0.3 to not report accidental input.