unity for PS3 soon

Why Unity should have a FREE or included into the INDIE lisence PS3 build. It is to compete with XNA. XNA create games for the Xbox 360 and XNA is free. And you get 70% of the revenue from your game according to Microsoft XNA - Wikipedia I don’t know but between 15 000$ to be on the wii ware and 0$ on the Xbox live marketplace the xbox (downloadable games) is more attractive: there is ALOT of Xbox in USA and they buy more games for the Xbox than for the Wii.
Will Unity offer same kinda thing for PS3?

If you’re not ready to phone them up directly to ask, you shouldn’t be wasting your time thinking about it :slight_smile:

Pardon my ignorance but phone who up to ask for what?

Well, the problem isn’t with UT, it’s with Sony and Nintendo. There’s a reason why there aren’t as many PS3 and Wii games as there are XBox(360) games. You can develop for free for XBox, and Wii and PS3 devkits and game approval processes cost a fortune, take a lot of time, and you game might not even make it then. If they want more developers, they will need to open up their development market by making development more accessible. If they do that, it will be good for everyone.

Other than that, the only thing stopping Unity supporting XBox(360) development currently is the incompatibility of the two thingies (damn… I’m forgetting this right now, but it was debated in another thread). It’s like how Mac Apps and Windows executables don’t run on each other’s OS. (I think…)

I sincerely hope for XBox(360), PS3, and PSP support in the future, however unlikely I it is.

I think you’re likely muddling two different topics in your head in a very common way:

  1. XNA is a C# based development framework that we are not compatible with nor will we ever be as it would require us to port our entire engine (as in the core engine code) to C#. Waste of time, loss of performance and functionality, etc.

  2. XBox and XBLA are distribution frameworks that tools can target, tools like Unity (someday), XNA and others. This we very much want to support and there’s nothing preventing that except time and programming resources.

Playstation Home developers say that Playstation Home was made on Unity. Even the shaders in it look the same. My brother was on it and an error log came up saying “svml_unity/login.jsp”. Is it true?

That would be news to me… What Playstation Home developers are you talking to that are saying this? Please point to sources, thanks!

There is a proprietary SCE technology called Unity - but it’s not Unity Unity :slight_smile:

Wait then how come we have these devs who go straight from college projects to PS3 (Jenova Chen) or iphone to PS3 (Critter Crunch)?

http://www.console-arcade.com/features/interview-with-capybara-games-part-one/

It is possible. Just make a runaway hit and/or get some grant funding.

But it probably won’t be done in Unity though, except for the prototype. Another studio with more moolah that has a PS3 devkit would probably be contracted by Sony to port the game.

Well I was just thinking, since Unity started as Mac, and Mac + Sony seem more compatible (i.e. Metal Gear Solid 4 and ipod) than Microsoft + Microsoft… why Xbox 360 is more probable (though it’s simple in that it’s more PC-like)

Because these people have good ideas, which is something Sony covet highly.

As I said before, all you need is a good idea, and Sony will at least listen.

The issue is that the majority of people making games aren’t building interesting new games that major publishers are going to be interested in.

Cue Jenova Chen who is a visionary game designer who made something different, and who had ambitions to do things differently. Publishers like Sony need people like that more than they need ‘existing studios with lots of moolah and ps3 devkits’ :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been developing for a little over a year for the Xbox 360 using C# and the XNA framework. I plan to submit my game for the 2010 Dream Build Play competition and then self publish on the 360 in the Indie Games Marketplace. Once completed, I would like to look at options for developing my game for iPhone. I’m very interested in Unity given it’s iphone support and if I read correctly it supports C# as a dev language.

My general question is: How difficult/enjoyable would the transition to Unity be for me and do you have any idea how much of my code might port over. My game is entirely 2D and I do all of my drawing in Spritebatch (the extrememly powerful shader built into XNA). Obviously all of my content assets should be usable but I’m curious about the portability/compatibility of the C# code.

thanks
Allan

Obviously you’ll have to swap out XNA-specific code with Unity equivalents, but otherwise the majority of the C# code will likely port straight over. As for SpriteBatch Unity doesn’t have anything exactly like that built-in, but I’m sure there are scripts others have written you can find that emulates it closely enough.

I’ve actually been learning some stuff from an XNA book recently, using Unity instead, and it’s been a breeze - I even completely re-built the guy’s toolset within editor-script! :slight_smile:

There’s no reason you couldn’t buy the Unity source code itself and port it to PS3 yourself (since if you’ve already built it for PC/Mac etc, it would probably be worth your time to do so).

I’ve no idea what the Unity source would cost, but lets ballpark it at half a mil or something, if you did a good enough job there’s no reason you couldn’t negotiate a reduced cost in exchange for your work porting it (in essence, porting it for Unity).

I’m just saying for the cost of a few programmers, you could port it.

It’s obviously not something even remotely realistic for the cashless Indie developer though :slight_smile:

sony will give you a dev kit only if you are developing for them or you are signed on with a publisher full stop

buying the engine capable of ps3 port etc is NOT enough

last sony game that i worked on we got complimentary dev kits from our publisher and one from sony for the development cycle

I was working on the assumption that you actually already are developing with the cooperation of Sony :slight_smile:

Which of course no doubt requires proof of financial backing, a track record of profitable (note that I didn’t say ‘quality’) titles, etc etc.

I haven’t seen it, but I seriously doubt a Unity source code license would allow for such a thing in the first place, and there’s no way it’s as simple as “hire a few programmers”, or else UT would have already had PS3 and 360 versions done some time ago. It’s also doubtful they’d accept a PS3 version by some random programmer even if it was feasible; code maintenance issues amongst other things. Let’s stick to the real world, shall we. :wink:

–Eric

Eric haven’t you heard? In 2010 the PS3 becomes easy to program. :smile:

+1

We’re generally quite flexible when it comes to negotiating source code licenses but new platform ports are something we’re a bit more careful about as we want more involvement/control there. That’s not to say it’s 100% out as an option, but you’d have to be someone unique (name, skills, whatever) and negotiate that with us in some way.

I wasn’t suggesting you’d let some backyarder port your engine :slight_smile: