Best practices for GI?

I’ve been trying to make use of the new global illumination, but even on test scenes or even trying to apply it to the scenes used in the standard assets, I haven’t been able to get very good results. I’m just having a lot of trouble making it work well, or even at all. It seems very buggy, from objects losing GI randomly to just not very good looking results, I haven’t been able to come up with much convincing. Are there any decent tutorials or training on setting stuff up to look decent?

Well there are many tutorials out there already at one Google Search away. This video is a good starting point.

We have been using Unity 5 for several months and overall, our game looks way better now than it did in Unity 4. The following in-game screenshot wouldn’t be possible without the benefits of GI.

I would also add that to come up with “convincing result” is not only the work of GI. It is all about the whole composition of your scene, from the material setup to architecture of your level. Make sure there are no seams that let light pass through and make sure to adapt your workflow to PBR, ideally in Linear space. Mark everything that is part of the environment as static.