So I am trying to add the new cloth functionality on a rigged and animated character. The problem is the cloth stays on the T pose position where it was set whereas the character animates properly. Is this a beta bug or will cloth not work with an animating character?
This was broken in betas 17, 18 and 19 and fixed in 20.
Which version are you seeing it in?
I am using beta 20 and legacy animation system
Oh, I have no idea if legacy animation system works with it.
Try it in beta 16 (it used to work back then). Maybe the broke it for both then only fixed it for Mecanim.
OK if that means it will work in the future then that’s fine. Everything’s under development anyway.
Did in 16 work using legacy?
I don’t know. I’ll give it a 50 percent chance.
If it did, then they should be able to fix it if you file a bug report. If it didn’t then it looks like cloth is only designed to work with the new system.
Great I will
I tested it with mecanim animations as well and it had the same disjoint result
Is there any special way to rig the models so that it can work with cloth?
post an image of your char and rig
It seems that it happens regardless of whether it’s cloth
So to better explain:
I’ve split the model into three parts
- The body (rigged)
- The trousers (non cloth)
- The cape (cloth)
I did this tho actually say the trousers and the cape are cloth but it seems that neither respond to the animation, it treats them as separate models completely.
I assume you already set the constraint right?
Yeah, I set the constraints in different positions, max distance to 0 or 1 and surface penetration 0 or 1 or both of them at the same time.
Strange, that’s should works already
It treats it as a separate model which it kinda is but it can’t constraint itself to a different mesh than itself
- Cloth doesn’t collide with meshcollider (anymore? don’t know how it worked earlier). You have to set up capsule and box colliders and assign them to the cloth object.
- are your non-physic (constraint 0) vertices rigged? They have to be rigged.
- is the skeleton of the cloth-object rigged and animated? It is possible to share a skeleton between both objects, but both definitely need a skeleton
- I ll need to put two capsules, one for each leg, I did try something similar but not sure whether this will follow the animation properly
2,3) I am not sure which vertices you are talking about, there’s the cape and the trousers that to be clothed in this mesh and they arent rigged, if both rig and cloth exist in the same object, cloth takes over and destroys the character
A cape has normally a few vertices at the top where it should follow the animation (otherwise your cape will fell to the floor), they have to be rigged.
Your capsule collider belong to the leg gameobject in your skeleton. They will follow your animation.
if you add constraints it wont fall to the floor but as I said if we rig them both then it’ll go crazy with the cloth
But you have to rig them. How else should they know where they are?
I have two animated meshes as well, one for the body, one for clothing. They share the same skeleton and some of the vertices have to be constrained and animated, or else they will stay in t-pose ![]()
