Looking for some advice on how to handle audio of multiple enemies firing weapons at the same time

Hello!

I am working on a simple FPS game where multiple enemies will run to cover and shoot at the player. As a test, I put about 9-10 enemies on a stage and have them “activate” and run to their positions. They can all see the player and all fire at him; unfortunately, this creates a total mess where several weapons are firing at the same time and the audio is overlapping. It also doesn’t help that they all have the same weapon and gunshot noise. Here’s a clip below of my game to show what that looks and sounds like:

Strategically, I’m struggling to come up with a way to handle this. One thing I tried was keeping track of how many guns were firing and making sure only two or three are producing a noise; however, that just makes it look weird as it’s very apparent that some other guns are firing but not making a noise. I’ve not yet tried implementing spatial or distance-based audio, so I’m hoping that maybe that will alleviate the issue some?

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue to this and how they approached the audio situation. Additionally, if anyone has a good tutorial or other resource to look at, it would be much appreciated. Thank you!