Unity Editor Not Loading Visual Studio

Many times, when I try to open a c# script from unity editor (2021.3.4f1), it isn’t actually able to load the script. I am able to open the script from visual studio itself, but lose the intellisense functionality that works when I open it from unity. Preference-external tools-external script editor is set to Visual studio 2022 (Community).

It gets stuck on this “hold-on” window for 15 minutes and then MAY load VS Community after. What is strange is that is that sometimes it opens completely normally, and sometimes it does this. However, more often than not it is giving me this issue.

How should I rectify this?

This may help you with intellisense and possibly other Visual Studio integration problems:

Sometimes the fix is as simple as doing Assets → Open C# Project from Unity. Other times it requires more.

Other times it requires you also nuke the userprefs and .vsconfig and other crufty low-value high-hassle files that Visual Studio tends to slowly damage over time, then try the above trick.

Barring all that, move on to other ideas:

Also, try update the VSCode package inside of Unity: Window → Package Manager → Search for Visual Studio Code Editor → Press the Update button

Also, this: No suggestions in Vscode


Hey, exhausted almost all of your suggestions to no avail. When I tried updating the package manager I didnt actually see an option to update. I assume it has automatically updated to the latest version? I’m not sure, though.8286291--1086078--upload_2022-7-17_9-37-11.png

I am also not very knowledgeable with programming in general so I didn’t quite understand “nuke the userprefs and .vsconfig and other crufty low-value high-hassle files that Visual Studio tends to slowly damage over time”. Could you explain what this means?