I was wondering, what with all of the available options and technology related to Unity, why doesn’t someone establish a magazine focused around the Engine? I assume it’s user base is strong enough to show interest. Even if it were simply an E-Reader zine. If I had the time I’d absolutely do it myself. Plan out a year subscription, with each subscription year having a large project being broken down into a monthly tutorial such as how to build an MMO in Unity, or How to Create an FPS, Mobile game, etc, start to finish over a year.
Fill the rest of the magazine up with tips and tricks, small piece tutorials showing advancements in the engines modeling, networking options, etc.
I think it would make for a really great magazine. Then, Unity could advertise assets, interview Unity developers, modelers, and the like.
I’m almost talking myself into getting something going but I REALLY don’t have the time. I’ve published magazines in the past but they were focused around night clubs and entertainment, live bands etc.
I was already wondering why such a magazine isn’t already available.
There would definately be enough to write about and enough readers, at least for an e-magazine.
I don’t have enough time and background knowledge to set up such a magazine, too.
There used to be a Unity magazine, actually. There have been a few. One was called Unity Creative Magazine, but ended in 2011. Another was by Charles Hinshaw and was called Unity Developer Magazine, but that had two or three issues and ended in 2009.
Well the idea is not new and as stated there have been magazines in the past. I created the “Unity Creative Magazine” but there was just not enough demand to justify the work/cost involved to continue. I even doubt that things have changed much. People are more interested in videos and the internet/google is quick to answer their questions.
Times are changing, magazines are the past.
I was buying it in the pre internet era to get some CD full of engines, SDK, tutorials, service packs.
Today I don’t want to wait months to complete a tutorial, you could put your tutorials in sites like lynda.com or build your own site.
Dang… that’s too bad I would Subscribe to a Unity Magazine! Maybe someone can start a small Virtual Magazine?
My best Suggestion would be for someone to host the Virtual Magazine on a Single Website where Users can only view the Magazine there… maybe Publish in a Secure PDF Webviewer or something that is locked to that Domain and can’t be downloaded…
where I am going with this is simply… to get the support (Revenue) to keep it going, place Google Adsense on the WebSite! I think it’s possible, and since we are all on Online most of the time… why not go Read an Online Unity Magazine Right? and the Publisher (host) can get a Return on their Work or atleast get something to pay for Cost through the AdSense Revenue and or Donation Link as well…
LOL! if you say soo regarding… Adsense = pennies. I make money from Adsense so I know it works… How much I won’t dicuss that here… but I’ll say this much it’s very possible for Thomas to keep this magazine going and be supported fully from Adsense Revenue… As long as he changes the way he is publishing the Magazine…
and yes, you may be right people want information quickly these days ofcoarse… but someone has to take the time to publish information Online right???
So the information is there…
I see The Unity Magazine as another source of information…
most Magazine, Print Publishing Companies are going Online for the obvious reason… because thats where their users, readers are… and providing content for free, and cover the cost through Adsense Revenue.
if you read the Wiki link at the bottom about Growth it shows an example of someone who get about 5.8 million monthly unique views… that’s alot of $$$
Facebook Guy… is billionaire based on Google Ads as it’s primary source of Revenue.
Thomas, already started a good thing, and i think it can keep it going as long as he changes the way he Publishes the Magazine. = )
If you’re making money, more power to you. But Facebook has billions of impressions so that’s not a fair comparison.
Certain things bring more cash than others on Adsense as you know.
Now type in Keyword “Unity 3D”, Results… ? 823,000 Global Monthly Searches on Google Alone, and Low Competition…
Meaning what? Unity 3D is a hot keyword, and will probably continue growing in the years to come… if people are searching for Unity 3D as a keyword Globally, and at that number above… the means whoever is the #1 Unity 3D Resource / Information Provider / Publisher can rack in some serious money from Adsense… don’t get me wrong it’s not easy work, or a flip of a switch type of thing… but from experience and using this (part of) the basic practice shown here… I’ve been able to make alot of pennies from adsense.
A lot of those searches will be from me searching the forums Perhaps a few other people do the same because the forum search option isn’t very good?
There is a lot of interest in Unity information, but the forums and various blogs cover that in a more immediate and accessible format than a magazine ever could.
One alternative is to do a monthly unity video have on it information on updates, new assets, up and coming and released games, interviews with devs and maybe even unity staff. Stick it on youtube so it other than time and editing it won’t cost much. Have a few peopel make it so it does not become full time for just one person.
I would prefer that to a magizne
Think like the old videogame shows crossed with a tech show but all based on unity.
Have a set format like stat with what on the show(headlines) the first with news, on to a feature, then some reviews maybe an interview then whats coming up next month. Or something like that. Have it 30-60 mins long.