Unity Creative Magazine (472621)

Hey there folks,

As most of you know we had to discontinue our unity based magazine a little while ago. For those who don’t even know about the existence of such magazine please visit:

Link: 3dattack.us

All magazines are now on sale for a little while before we will finally just take them down altogether. It’s a shame that there wasn’t more interest.

Thomas P.


Sorry to hear that but why take them down?as a new member of community I’d like to check them out, even if they’re a little out of date.

Best of luck with your next ventures!

Any chance of a discount? Say, all of them for $5?

How about some free ones for those like me who paid around 50 and only ever saw one magazine?

Not to sound disrespectful but I doubt you ever paid 50 as the subscription price was around 30. Aside from that we did offer assets as compensation. Perhaps you are mixing us up with the “other” unity magazine from Charles Hinshaw? http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/10964-Unity-Developer-Magazine-Launching

Yes it was the other one. sorry for mixing yours up, my mistake! Thanks to my experience with them, whenever I see any 3rd party Unity publications I immediately dismiss them. I wonder if your mag got unfairly tarred by impressions like that from others as well. apologies again.

No problem :slight_smile: We aren’t exactly sure what the problem was as we offered quite a bit of info, tutorials, interview, free assets and whatnot. However, people seem to prefer video tutorials and free content. A magazine can’t survive if there is nobody reading it after all. Well, we tried :slight_smile:

Maybe if you would release it reformatted with iBooks Author as a book? Just an idea.

I actually thought about it but then again would it really make a difference? I am not really convinced that it would.

@Helioxfilm - The little feedback we get here tells me that there wouldn’t be much of a point :wink:

Disappointing there wasn’t more demand for this magazine. It had some great content.

Picked up the last 2 issues I was missing.

Edit: Double post :frowning:

It had great tutorials and articles etc. I used the C# tutorial series myself to learn some basics. Ahhh well… I guess books and videos are more in demand after all.

It was an excellent publication (I was sorting through the goodies just last night that came with them). Maybe as Unity continues to expand in popularity there will be enough of a market in the future to make it viable again. :wink:

Thomas Pasieka , I’d like to see you not give up on the Unity Magazine!! I am def interested! = ) and I am sure there is still interest… I’m just reading up on this now… so I don’t really know what or how you set this up orginally, but my suggestion is to setup up shop as a Virtual Magazine and allow access to it only on your Domain ONLY! Release them for Free… but Place Google Adsense… and Place a Donation Link!

You possibly even host some Indie Game of the Month Contest that is integrated with this Unity Forum (Community), maybe have users Submit their work Monthly… and have people Vote! those with the Highiest vote at the end of the month get a Mention and ShoutOut on Unity Magazine Monthly! = )

Just some idea’s to attract viewers… Traffic = $ in the Adsense World… so I think you can still keep this up… just need to set it up the right way maybe?

I purchased all of the Unity Creative magazines on the Asset store; they were quite good. I wish they had continued.

Hey there guys!

I really appreciate your comments and interest in the magazine. However, reality is that the demand is just not there. Secondly, creating a magazine that can only be read via browser for example requires a bit of technical know how which I don’t have. Today people expect tutorials to be in video form for the most part and they expect not having to wait too long for the next video. Times have changed and I don’t think that there is room for a digital magazine anymore (unless it would be free to all and completely paid for by “Ads”).

Thomas, I am willing to explore this with you… as I may have the technical know how to get the job done! = )

between the Adsense (paid for by Ads), Web Development, and some additional Knowledge regarding Market Research, and Demand…

Questions for you that would help you to see how this may very well still be possible, and in Demand.

  1. How were you Originally Publishing the Magazine? How did the Users Read it, what File Format or Program (if digital) did you use to Publish? and How Much were they Paying for it?

Thomas, the issue here may very well be not soo much about demand… and i’ll explain more if you want to continue this conversation… = )

contact me on Skype [ jonmalave ] or Gmail Chat Pref-ably [ jonmalave@gmail.com ]

You may have just went about it the wrong way. I was considering launching a magazine like this myself as I’ve published print mags in the past.

For a magazine like this to do well, you have to build a solid readership which means making the rag free. Then you get sponsors for the mag from software companies, various service providers etc.

You could also distribute assets for free with the mag and generate revenue from multiple avenues as well, depending on the userbase of the assets.

I would be willing to help out if you ever wanted to make another run at it.

Look into Zinio as well.

By the way, you’re link didn’t work.