We have published a new release (0.6.2) which includes an exciting new feature – Play To Device. We’ve heard from many users that a lot of time is spent building, deploying, and testing project changes in the visionOS simulator or on the device. This new feature allows you to iterate and live preview your content directly from the Unity Editor, without having to build and deploy your project. Please read this Discussion post and visit our documentation page to learn more about this new feature.
Additionally, VR samples are now included in the com.unity.xr.visionos package, available through the package manager UI. This sample content demonstrates how to configure the XR Interaction Toolkit in your project, including gaze input.
For those who are testing on devices at Apple’s developer labs or via a developer kit, you should only be using the following updated configuration.
- Apple Silicon Mac for development
- Unity 2022 LTS (2022.3.11f1 and higher)
- Xcode 15.1 beta 1
- The Xcode 15 Release Candidate will not work
- visionOS beta 4 (21N5259k) - SDK
We are aware of Apple’s new visionOS beta 6 release. While we are still running this release through our full suite of tests, we can share that there were no issues when running our samples in the visionOS simulator and on device (using package release 0.6.2, Unity 2022.3.13f1, Xcode 15.1 beta 3, visionOS beta 6). There may still be issues which we’ve not identified yet, and will share those if they come up.
To learn more about Unity’s visionOS beta program, please refer to this post. These release notes apply to the suite of packages released as part of Unity’s visionOS beta program:
- com.unity.polyspatial (0.6.2)
- com.unity.xr.visionos (0.6.2)
- com.unity.polyspatial.visionos (0.6.2)
- com.unity.polyspatial.xr (0.6.2)
Known Issues with 0.6.2:
- At this time, the Play to Device feature is in Alpha and may include various instabilities.
- Play to Device does not support runtime scene loading.
- When using bounded volume cameras, only output dimensions (1,1,1) are supported.
- While running, if users switch focus out of the PlayMode window in the editor (or switch focus outside the editor entirely), input on the Play to Device app may not work.
- When adjusting volume camera dimensions or scale to be anything other than (1,1,1), you’ll see duplicated objects in the game view on the editor side.
- When running samples in playmode using 0.6.2 packages, you may see flashes of pink objects.
- Bake to mesh particle system continues to render static content when GameObject is set to inactive when running in PlayMode.
- When switching from bake to mesh to replicate properties while running a scene having particles in PlayMode, the particles never disappear, even after deactivating and reactivating the particles GO.
- Spatial UI Scene’s slider component stops rendering its value blue overlay after cycling through a different sample Scenes.
- Some of the “Return Home” buttons stop rendering the return home icon. Particularly with the Object Manipulation Scene, where there is no text, only the icon, the button shows up as empty.