Can't drag objects in the scene view

Hi, I’m just learning Unity and I can’t figure out why I’m unable to click-and-drag objects. It’s been working fine for days, and now suddenly I can only move objects by their widgets. Trying to drag them directly just results in an empty selection box. I’ve uninstalled, reinstalled, made a new project, restarted, and reset the interface to factory settings and nothing seems to help.

Does anyone have any idea what to do about this? I upgraded to 4.3 today if that’s relevant…

1 Like

Click and drag objects? You mean select and move their position? Or dragging prefabs into your scene from the project window?

I mean selecting and moving their position in the scene view.

I was just having the same issue and pulling my hair out. Turns out I had my Sprite renderer collapsed. In the inspector window, make sure the components are expanded. Im my case it was the sprite renderer, but I’m not sure what you’re working on.

Cheers!

3 Likes

I just had this same problem. Is this on purpose? Really?

OMG this was driving me CRAZY. Thanks cparki3!

I had the same issue as well… would have never thought to see if the sprite renderer being collapsed was the culprit, crazy.

Do not even see a sprite renderer anywhere on my screen, having the same issue anyway

I had this problem too. It was driving me crazy but I found a solution which was so obvious that I laughed.
Make sure you select this tool as the attached image.

19 Likes

i had the same problem i just rebooted unity and it worked again

2 Likes

This is pretty easy but it doesn’t fix it works so first you wanna create a New Folder. Then go to the the stuff you wanna import into the scene Select all the files scripts models and then click Copy Then go to the folder that you created in your project folder then right click on it then go to Show In Explorer then paste all the files you copyed into the folder

I hope this helps you ALL!!

1 Like

I’m new to unity too and just had the same issue…for me, I wasn’t clicking the “two arrows crossed” wala button

For me the move arrows were miles away from the actual object, fixed by hitting ‘center’ button.

I just installed unity and tis is like the 2 time is have happened, I just cant see the plane or what ever I placed it seems like it is running from me

I was having this issue as well, I did not see my solution up here so here it is.

Above the scene there should be three tabs: Scene, Game, and Asset Store. If you click on Game by accident it will put you into what the camera can view and won’t let you edit anything in the scene.

Hope this helps someone, but I’m sure this will only apply to someone as new as me. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I have a same problem just now,then I find a solution ,you can try close the unity,and reopen the project

I’ve had this problem for a year or maybe two. I no idea how to reproduce it, so I don’t know how to report it as a bug, but it doesn’t ONLY mean I can’t move objects in the editor… for me it ALSO means that objects like a piece of clothing with a SMRenderer on them won’t follow the root of the main object like a character. So the render box follows the character fine but the mesh stays in one spot and cannot be moved even in code. Restarting doesn’t always fix it, it’s like the object gets bugged an I have to recreate the object, and that doesn’t always work. If I could reproduce it I’d put it on the issue tracker unless it’s there already and I just don’t see it. It doesn’t seem to be something I can make happen intentionally, it just seems to happen at very inconvenient times.

Just try to set [Texture type] to “Sprite” in inspector window and press “sprite editor”, then you can drag it.

1 Like

This worked for me. After changing the Image Material, the hand tool worked properly again.
Edit - As soon as I added an image the hand tool reverted back to not working properly and changing the Image Material isn’t working this time…

The fix for me was exiting out of the scene window and going back in it

1 Like