Textures on fbx

I am using blender to create some models in fbx format.

I then drag and drop those models into Unity.

I also have some image files loaded in my project. I create a new material (shader) and set it to the basic defuse. I assign a texture (such as a wood texture) to the shader in the inspector.

If I drag that material onto my model, the color of the model changes, but doesn’t show the actual texture.

If I drag that same material onto something like a cube made in unity, the texture shows as expected.

Where am I going wrong?

Edit - Note: I am not assigning any textures in blender.

Does your model have a UV map?

I am not sure. I created a model in blender. Did not assign any materials or textures to the model in blender then exported it to fbx. Dragged that into unity and assigned a unity material to the model bay dragging it to the model in the hierarchy. I did no UV mapping or anything in blender. Model changes color to the base color of the image, but the image itself doesn’t show. Like if I have an image that is brown, with black lines running down it, the model just turns brown. No black lines.

Then you need to go back to Blender and create a UV map for your model. Without one, Unity has no idea how to map the image to the model. I’m sure there are plenty of tutorials on doing this if you have never done it before.

Thanks that solved my problem. Didn’t realize I had to do that. I figured adding the materials in unity would do the same thing. I was obviously mistaken.