Hi, after upgrading my 6000.0.23f1 project to 6000.3.25f1, SVT appears to be broken. Currently, the scene view renders grey and this error is spammed:
InvalidOperationException: Virtual texturing is not enabled in the player settings.
UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipeline..ctor (UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipelineAsset asset) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@700710090fa9/Runtime/RenderPipeline/HDRenderPipeline.cs:562)
UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipelineAsset.CreatePipeline () (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@700710090fa9/Runtime/RenderPipeline/HDRenderPipelineAsset.cs:87)
UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineAsset.InternalCreatePipeline () (at <4188a0f79dff4b4191dbeaff03bfe462>:0)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)
vscode seems to think the ENABLE_VIRTUALTEXTURES symbol is not defined, yet code in that block is executed. To look into this more, I need to see into VirtualTexturing.Streaming.SetCPUCacheSize. Can I find the source code for this anywhere? I would like to understand why it thinks SVT is not enabled.
Virtual Texturing is enabled in the Player settings so I’m not sure what the actual issue is:

SVT does work in a new project so this is an issue with upgrading an older project.
If I disable SVT, the project seems to be in a usable state, but practically I would really like to get SVT working again.
Currently the only idea I have is to delete the library and re-build it. I may try this overnight.
Rebuilding the library did not help, SVT is still non-functional. Rather than getting the error spam, I’m just seeing shades of grey where virtual texture tiles are failing to load.
This is my RequestedVirtualTextureTiles debug view:
I would really like to get SVT working again in my project. I hope that I will not need to downgrade back to 6.0 to recover this feature.
I cloned the project and downgraded back to 6000.0.23f1, where SVT is now functional again. I will see if I can find which version caused this to break for my setup.
- 6000.0.84f1 - working.
- 6000.3.0f1 - broken.
This is the latest release of 6.0, and the oldest release of 6.3. Worth noting that 6000.0.84f1 is a much more recent release than 6000.3.0f1.
So it seems that, for some reason, the 6.3 version just doesn’t want to support SVT in my project. I will check 6.1 and 6.2 to see if it works anywhere in those versions.
Hi 
I did not find any similar issues internally. But I looked it up in the code, and maybe there is an upgrade issue with the newly introduced Build Profiles in 6.3. There is some logic that looks suspicious, if it is not properly serialized there.
Could you try to create a Windows Build Profile, activate that, and then overwrite the player settings?
And then change the state of the toggle there off and then on again, while doing editor restarts in between. Maybe this could serialize the right state? If this is the issue, it would be great to get a small bug report. And if not, then maybe you could check the latest 6000.3.25f1?

Best,
Oliver
After digging a little further, I don’t think that you are hitting the Build Profile issue I mentioned above.
But in the 6.6 release notes, I found another bugfix, that seems to be not backported to 6.3:
Shadergraph: Fixed rendering errors that occurred in graphs using both keyword nodes and virtual texture sampling. (UUM-139845)
Would it be feasible for you to open a copy of your project in 6.6, to validate if you are hitting this issue? It seems the root of it was introduced in 6.1, which could fit your issue here. If it works in 6.6, we might be able to initiate a backport to 6.3.
Hey, thanks so much for looking into this! It seems my issue is keyword-related and it does break starting in 6.1.
I did test some additional versions since my previous post, here’s the full list:
- 6000.0.23f1 - working.
- 6000.0.541f - working.
- 6000.0.84f1 - working.
- 6000.1.0f1 - broken.
- 6000.2.0f1 - broken.
- 6000.3.0f1 - broken.
- 6000.3.25f1 - broken.
Following your shader graph discovery, I made a new shader graph in 6000.3.25f1 (main project) with simply a sampled virtual texture plugged into the diffuse output, and SVT worked.
I tested a graph using VT and boolean keywords, and when removing the keywords, it rendered and SVT seemed to be working (RequestedVirtualTextureTiles debug view looked normal).
I think all of my shader graphs using virtual textures do also use keywords so I would not have noticed this.
I checked the build profiles anyway and it did not seem to help, but thanks for looking into that also!
I will upgrade a clone of my project to the latest 6.6 and see if it works. Supposing it works there, a backport of the fix would be amazing!
Hi, my project has a lot of errors opening in 6.6 and I’m not sure how to resolve some of them.
If I make a bug report for 6.3, would that be enough to get a fix? I think you identified the issue.